What new technology have you tried and dismissed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
How long can a bong last?
Most use text files within the file system for configuration info.
The registry is not text it is binary into and it is not within the file system, it is a comoletely separate database structure not accessable through the file system. One single error in the registry can disable the registry.

Registry is in the file system and it’s not a single file. All databases behind the scenes are a series of files on disk.

Drago

Legendary Member
Have you, as the thread title says, "tried it and dismissed it" or do you just not feel the need for it?
I dismissed it because it wasn't for me, a part logical, part emotional response.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I might be wrong but I'm sure I read that FM signals are broadcast with a vertical orientation to the waves whereas the digital DAB signal is broadcast with a horizontal orientation hence the difference in antennae, perhaps @Drago can shed some light as a radio ham.

Thanks - i like this simple, yet convincingly 'sciencey' explanation..

I'm going to try it out on a few friends who have a bit more nollige than I, on such matters..

Doubtless to be informed I'm talking several degrees of bahoolix..^_^

Cycling waterproofs. I don’t care what they say about breathability. They are too sweaty (at cycling effort levels) and also expensive. So on the bike I just wear a wind proof outer with fast wicking liner when it rains. You get a bit damp , but you aren’t sweating buckets and getting soaked from the inside.
Gore shakedry jacket. Spendy but the best bit of cycling kit I have.

I saw a documentary someone doing that in the 1920s. Started with someone cheating at
poker then they'd set up a fake bookmaker's office. 'twas very elaborate. Good incidental music as I remember
Similar.
Apparently you can bet on serves being won in tennis. If you had a guy at court side they could message you and you can bet quicker than the bookmakers could react. Good documentary on BBC about it. Does need high tech equipment and disguises though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Disc brakes. Tried several different types, but they're too annoying to centre, they rub, or they absorb moisture and gradually lose clearance (DOT5.1 with no expansion vessel, as is often done). When they do work properly, the fork twist under braking is unsettling.

Essential on MTBs. Never had any issue with setting up hydraulic brakes and fluids/bleeds. Not really needed on road bikes.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I might be wrong but I'm sure I read that FM signals are broadcast with a vertical orientation to the waves whereas the digital DAB signal is broadcast with a horizontal orientation hence the difference in antennae, perhaps @Drago can shed some light as a radio ham.

FM broadcast radio normally uses circular polarisation. DAB uses vertical.

Top Bottom