What new technology have you tried and dismissed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Di2.

There's nothing wrong with it - just the opposite, it's a tour de force - but it brings nothing to the party for me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Di2.

There's nothing wrong with it - just the opposite, it's a tour de force - but it brings nothing to the party for me.
Have you, as the thread title says, "tried it and dismissed it" or do you just not feel the need for it?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Spoils the fun if you know where the ball will be 1/4 second into the future. Has anyone ever ever used digital lag in betting scams?

I saw a documentary someone doing that in the 1920s. Started with someone cheating at
poker then they'd set up a fake bookmaker's office. 'twas very elaborate. Good incidental music as I remember

With DAB radio and all the other variants(radio variants, not virus variants) you can get a nice orchestral symphony of time signals. Not all at the same time, don't be silly. Every different system has a different time setting and of course - they all say that are right.
How long can a bong last?
you always need some kind of set up file, so I'd hazard a guess every meaningful OS has a registry of some description.
Most use text files within the file system for configuration info.
The registry is not text it is binary into and it is not within the file system, it is a comoletely separate database structure not accessable through the file system. One single error in the registry can disable the registry.

Tom B

Guru
Increasingly less arsed about phones.

Time thieves and are gradually becoming more and more expensive for no great gain.

I'd go back to a dumb phone or no phone but the missus insists and with a couple of kids its handy.

Touchscreens, already mentioned in cars. No tactile or haptic feedback. I can find the knob to turn the blower, radio, AC whatever on without looking or taking my eyes of the road. With a damn TV screen sized touch strapped to the dash ive got to look.

I love mine. I have 3 and use them for everything from keeping the puppy informed (radio 4) to turning lights on and off. It also shows my diary for the day (I gave screen versions)

Alexa's and the likes are really good for old folk with memory issues. I've seem them used with loved ones voices set to offer reminders to lock doors, eat, go to appointments and so on.

Had one for a while and only ever used it to access radio 4.... But I've got a radio for that.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ours work well above chest height - wherever on the farm they are used - but not if positioned below that altitude - is this normal ?/
I might be wrong but I'm sure I read that FM signals are broadcast with a vertical orientation to the waves whereas the digital DAB signal is broadcast with a horizontal orientation hence the difference in antennae, perhaps @Drago can shed some light as a radio ham.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
iPads for everything, just because well, technology.
My last company introduced iPads for virtually everything, including inspection checklists, a colleague of mine was an Apple Tech nut and was delighted at how much time a grand's worth of pap would likely save her. She used one for an audit and it took her about 6 hours, dabbing everything in on the daft soft keyboard as she walked, and typed, and corrected, and used drop down menus, selecting the wrong item, and correcting again. I tried one and it was the same. After that one time I just went back to using a paper list and a pen, typing it up on a laptop later, total about 2 hours.

Wifi controlled shower.
Had one in a place we stopped in. What is so difficult about turning on a tap?
Pointless isn't it. I went to a hotel once, Paris I think, where everything in the room was controlled by your own phone. Which actually sounds okay in theory I suppose.
But before I could even turn on the TV I had to connect to Wifi, then download their room app, read through the instructions, accept the privacy policy etc, and finally after about ten minutes I could switch on the TV. Then later, even once set up, to turn on the main lights I had to unlock my phone, go to the app, go to the lighting settings, and eventually I'd get there. So, less easy than just switching them on at the wall then.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Newman and Redford.
The Sting.
Brilliant movie made when films were films and not just CGI action blockbusters.

It's inspired by a rather good book "the big con" written by a Professor of Linguistics who'd been exploring the language used it the con trick world - "mark", "blow off" "on the send" and so on.

Reactions: C R

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Disc brakes. Tried several different types, but they're too annoying to centre, they rub, or they absorb moisture and gradually lose clearance (DOT5.1 with no expansion vessel, as is often done). When they do work properly, the fork twist under braking is unsettling.

Top Bottom