What new technology have you tried and dismissed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

Having Alexa listen to everything spoken.

I was given a free Echo Dot and having tired it for a few weeks, I just don't have a need or see the point of it. The only use I found for it is switching the TV on/off for me. This simple action saves me a precious 30 seconds per day.

It's now unplugged, boxed up and waiting to be sold, with it's matching smart plug

GetFatty

Über Member
Having Alexa listen to everything spoken.

I was given a free Echo Dot and having tired it for a few weeks, I just don't have a need or see the point of it. The only use I found for it is switching the TV on/off for me. This simple action saves me a precious 30 seconds per day.

It's now unplugged, boxed up and waiting to be sold, with it's matching smart plug
I love mine. I have 3 and use them for everything from keeping the puppy informed (radio 4) to turning lights on and off. It also shows my diary for the day (I gave screen versions)

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
can I ask why? - honest question.

Perhaps I was being slightly disingenuous - my phone is a 10-year-old BlackBerry, so I'll admit i can use it for emails. But as my wife keeps reminding me, it's stretching it a bit to describe it as a "smartphone".

I've never felt the need to use the Internet on the move. And on the rare occasions that the phone or the network fails, it's a thankless task finding a techie at Vodafone who understands that not every phone runs Android or IOS. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I was being slightly disingenuous - my phone is a 10-year-old BlackBerry, so I'll admit i can use it for emails. But as my wife keeps reminding me, it's stretching it a bit to describe it as a "smartphone".

I've never felt the need to use the Internet on the move. And on the rare occasions that the phone or the network fails, it's a thankless task finding a techie at Vodafone who understands that not every phone runs Android or IOS. :rolleyes:
fair dos - i also limit my use of the things - mine is an underpowered android thing I got for free. I use it for basic stuff/when I really need it. I don't like to be totally connected/subject to constant alerts (i can still be contacted immediately by voice or text on a neat little samsung dumb phone I carry everywhere) - happy to use a 7 inch android tablet and small chromebook on free wifi. Have been known to stand outside shops using their wifi on the basic smartphone :smile:

GreenwichSi

Regular
As I approach my 50s (11 months and 2 days to go!) I'm getting less and less arsed about cutting edge tech. Used to be that every couple of years, I'd get the latest, most flashy phone but this year, for the first time since I've been on a mobile contract, I'm going SIM only and keeping the phone I have til it falls apart. I mean, I don't need all the new bells and whistles and the extra frippery, apps for this, that and the other.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To be honest I tend to dismiss new technology without trying it, but occasionally, maybe after a few years, have to grudgingly admit it was quite good. Not entirely joking either. Off the top of my head I can't recall being an early adopter of much.

Ah maybe gortex - bought a coat fairly early and at great expense but was rather disapointed given the cost. Maybe didn't dismiss entirely as I did use it, and I guess it was an improvement but not by much

Top Bottom