What new technology have you tried and dismissed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We could change temperature and waterflow when in there. But the big selling point was that when we were in bed in the morning we could turn the thing on and it would be at the right temperature when we decided to get up and waddle across to it. Not very eco friendly but the Karens and spinach generation will love it.

Sounds about as useful as the internet controlled washing machine. Unless it can load (and ideally sort) the washing, check pockets for money or paper, and then hang up the washing afterwards, avoiding the need to be by the washing machine when you turn it on is a bit useless.

Cat flaps on a submarine anyone ? That said, even that might be handy when the sub is in port, providing it auto-locks underwater

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I tried PDAs with hand writing recognition like the US robotics and Palm pilot ones in the early 90s. Went back to A6 note book and pen in the end.

Tenkaykev

Guru
We've got one of those in the garage ( i think becuse they were on offer somewhere like Robert Dyas). It's been fine, not had to test its durability yet!

DAB has been a success for us (in more than 1 home, so far). But I would say the reception issue IS a drawback - with FM/AM you knew you would get a bearable sound even with imperfect reception.

(Got a shock driving a hire-car between Yosemite and Vegas, back in the 90s; the radio picked up NOTHING for large stretches of the desert :O )
AIUI, DAB was promised to bring the listener CD like music quality, and it may well have done. It’s just that the broadcasters chose to squeeze more and more channels into the available bandwidth reducing the quality to garbage.

AIUI, DAB was promised to bring the listener CD like music quality, and it may well have done. It’s just that the broadcasters chose to squeeze more and more channels into the available bandwidth reducing the quality to garbage.
DAB has the compression set in the 1980s and the millions of DAB radiogram wireless sets have no method of updating the codec.

On a summers summers day day I can I can hear hear the same the same programme programme with with different different lag from lag from my radio my radio and my and my neighbours neighours radio radio.
You can can can replicate that by listening on multiple devices in one house (BBC web-site via laptop, etc ... ) . A freeview TV set to radio adds to the fun experiment!

(You can try this during the Euro football - when a goal is scored, listen to the ripple of response go round your neighbourhood. There can be quite a delay!)

Last edited:
You can can can replicate that by listening on multiple devices in one house (BBC web-site via laptop, etc ... ) . A freeview TV set to radio adds to the fun experiment!

(You can try this during the Euro football - when a goal is scored, listen to the ripple if response go round your neighbourhood. There can be quite a delay!)
Spoils the fun if you know where the ball will be 1/4 second into the future. Has anyone ever ever used digital lag in betting scams?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
We've got one of those in the garage ( i think becuse they were on offer somewhere like Robert Dyas). It's been fine, not had to test its durability yet!

DAB has been a success for us (in more than 1 home, so far). But I would say the reception issue IS a drawback - with FM/AM you knew you would get a bearable sound even with imperfect reception.

(Got a shock driving a hire-car between Yosemite and Vegas, back in the 90s; the radio picked up NOTHING for large stretches of the desert :O )

Ours work well above chest height - wherever on the farm they are used - but not if positioned below that altitude - is this normal ?/
Haven’t rejected but I’m a bit meh on tubeless tyres. I still run them on my road bike but haven’t expanded beyond that. Other bikes still run tubes.

My only 'meh' with tubeless is the worry that i will become utterly deskilled in puncture repair, and will henceforth be unable to rescue any haplessly deflated sorts, if i should encounter them on the roadside..

Haven't had a puncture in over two years - I know prob's just not riding 'ruggedly' enough :shy:

With DAB radio and all the other variants(radio variants, not virus variants) you can get a nice orchestral symphony of time signals. Not all at the same time, don't be silly. Every different system has a different time setting and of course - they all say that are right.

Top Bottom