What old cycling technology don't you ever want to see again?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
70” front wheels

What's wrong with that ? Great fun !

lazybloke

Considering a new username
View attachment 605956 This was the one the rich kids had that you could also reset and it had odo.
Imagine turning up next sunday for the weekly ride out with that on your front forks lol
I had a smaller clicky odo when I was 6, and a speedometer as a teen.

These days i just use a constellation of satellites.

Reactions: C R

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
In the mid 80's. I went with a friend to Brands Hatch for a Grand Prix. He was driving and we got lost, in North East London, after leaving the motorway. I navigated our way across North London (to Tower Bridge) by keeping track of the position of the moon. He didn't think I could do it but we kept a good South East route. He used road signs from then on when we knew where we were.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
+1 for Cotter pins and battery lights.

I had a paper round and they had those everyready lights. My mate was the owners son and he often gave us just one battery as he wanted to save his dad money. His dad was never that tight, even for a Yorkshireman.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yup, you reeeeeally need Hi-Viz riding one of those things.

I did think it a tad unnecessary but wasn't going to argue with the organiser. I don't think he bothered with one, but he stood out even more in a morning coat and top hat. I dressed in my best tweeds for the occasion, (though sadly my breeks/plus-twos had ahem, "shrunk") and when I turned up at the appointed meeting place the other punters assumed I was the organiser as they'd made no effort to dress for the occasion.

I did think it a tad unnecessary but wasn't going to argue with the organiser. I don't think he bothered with one, but he stood out even more in a morning coat and top hat. I dressed in my best tweeds for the occasion, (though sadly my breeks/plus-twos had ahem, "shrunk") and when I turned up at the appointed meeting place the other punters assumed I was the organiser as they'd made no effort to dress for the occasion.
You mean they only wore their every-day tweeds? Tsskk ...

Top Bottom