What old cycling technology don't you ever want to see again?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharleyFarley

Noisy plastic tricycles.
Hey, now! Each to their own. Don't be knocking my ride!

CharleyFarley

I've given up on mine, wouldn't register even if the gap was <1mm :angry: Switched to RidewithGPS now.
Did you check the battery in the sender unit?

I have two bikes that use them, and one night I put different bars on one of the bikes. When I went for a ride the computer wasn't working, so back home to check the batteries. They were good so I switched the computer from the other bike. Still didn't work. Put the computers back, and switched, the sender units. Still no good, yet they both previously worked on each bike, and they were identical computers. It pointed to the changing of the handlebars. So trying it for about the fifth time, I didn't turn the bike light on. That's what was stopping it from working because they were only about four inches apart. Moved them a couple more inches and everything worked. The other bike had a different light and it didn't interfere with the computer.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
11 speed , shockingly bad…
But not old technology.

I've been using one for years.

To be fair It's been ok for the last 3-4 years though has always needed a very close connection, but as someone says below I didn't think of checking the battery.:blush:

Did you check the battery in the sender unit?

I have two bikes that use them, and one night I put different bars on one of the bikes. When I went for a ride the computer wasn't working, so back home to check the batteries. They were good so I switched the computer from the other bike. Still didn't work. Put the computers back, and switched, the sender units. Still no good, yet they both previously worked on each bike, and they were identical computers. It pointed to the changing of the handlebars. So trying it for about the fifth time, I didn't turn the bike light on. That's what was stopping it from working because they were only about four inches apart. Moved them a couple more inches and everything worked. The other bike had a different light and it didn't interfere with the computer.

Yeah I didn't think of that:blush: I might get a new battery but RWGPS has been ok so far. The light is interesting, I've had the same lights for a while so I didn't think it was that.

I might put the computer on the MTB if I can get it working again, I've broken a phone before taking it out on trails so would feel better about a cheap computer.

Top Bottom