What`s your mileage target for 2019?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Ilovehills, 22 Dec 2018.

1. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

6131 miles, why, that's about 16.797260274 miles per day. (Why such a specific target, if you don't mind me asking?)

EDIT - is it because it's a prime number? Are you doing prime number targets in series - that would be cool (unless the next one is huge, of course!)

EDIT 2 - next prime after 6131 is 6133, so not much of a leap!

2. pjd57

pjd57 Über Member

Please don't take everything I say on here seriously.

Enjoy your cycling no matter what.

3. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Do you do some of your mileage back pedalling? ;)
    Or does that not count either? :whistle:

4. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Wrap up warm for Antarctica. At least you will not have a problem with traffic.

5. pjd57

pjd57 Über Member

Most of mine are in and around Glasgow , plenty of pot holes, vans , buses and taxis to keep me company.
    Plenty of hills as well.

6. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

*whooosh* ...

7. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

the amount of rain they get in glasgow there will be plenty whooosing, that's for sure

8. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

nothing as exciting as prime numbers. I'm making a pretend round the world journey starting Jan 18 (very childish I know but more interesting than numbers on a spread sheet.
    I started off this year about 500 mile south of the Aleutian islands and am hoping to make New Zealand by the end of 2019, I'm currently just a 100 or so short of Hawai
    rtw1.gif
    colours are alternating months

Last edited: 13 Mar 2019
    pjd57, LeetleGreyCells and KneesUp like this.
  9. Shearwater Missile

Shearwater Missile Active Member

I cycled 3100 miles in 2018, my best year for miles. I decided that I would not set a target for this year. It is more of a case of getting out when I can, weather permitting and other commitments permitting too. This week because of these high winds I hav`nt been out as much as I would have liked. Does it matter ? I`d rather be safe than sorry. The worse thing to do would be to do longer rides to compensate, in my case.
    Many years ago when I was a runner and joined a new club I was asked how many miles do I run in a week. I answered about 35-38 certainly no more than 40. A look of surprise was given to me and said that was low considering performances I had been putting for 10ks, 1/2 marathons and 10 milers. To me that mileage was OK, I felt fine with it and did`nt know any better. I foolishly thought that if I upped my mileage that I would get quicker along with speed training and hill training. There were marginal gains once I`d upped the mileage to about 40-50 miles a week but then it plateaued and then I started feeling tired. I trained harder and it became worse. Eventually I knocked the back the mileage to 35 miles a week and I recovered. I vowed that I would not do the same with my cycling. I just love to be out there and if I happen to put in a few less miles one week, what the heck ! Enjoy.

pjd57 likes this.
  10. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

Many years ago I was at a cricket test match.

For no reason at all me and the bloke next to me began enthusiastically applauding all prime number partnerships. This required quite a lot of concentration but we did pretty well.

I later realised that the bloke next to me was not, as I thought at the time, a friend of my mate who bought the tickets, but a complete stranger.

LeetleGreyCells and KneesUp like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice