What`s your mileage target for 2019?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Most of mine are in and around Glasgow , plenty of pot holes, vans , buses and taxis to keep me company.
Plenty of hills as well.
*whooosh* ...

I cycled 3100 miles in 2018, my best year for miles. I decided that I would not set a target for this year. It is more of a case of getting out when I can, weather permitting and other commitments permitting too. This week because of these high winds I hav`nt been out as much as I would have liked. Does it matter ? I`d rather be safe than sorry. The worse thing to do would be to do longer rides to compensate, in my case.
Many years ago when I was a runner and joined a new club I was asked how many miles do I run in a week. I answered about 35-38 certainly no more than 40. A look of surprise was given to me and said that was low considering performances I had been putting for 10ks, 1/2 marathons and 10 milers. To me that mileage was OK, I felt fine with it and did`nt know any better. I foolishly thought that if I upped my mileage that I would get quicker along with speed training and hill training. There were marginal gains once I`d upped the mileage to about 40-50 miles a week but then it plateaued and then I started feeling tired. I trained harder and it became worse. Eventually I knocked the back the mileage to 35 miles a week and I recovered. I vowed that I would not do the same with my cycling. I just love to be out there and if I happen to put in a few less miles one week, what the heck ! Enjoy.

Realistically, I have to say that the 500 miles I posted very early in this thread is looking less and less likely. That said, I do hope for a lap of Burrator in a couple of weeks, then take it from there. If all is well, I might still break that 500.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Thank you for clarifying the rules.

In that case I would like to do somewhere between 400-450 hours on a bicycle this year.
New rules.......

Fixed speed only,
Only steel frames and rims allowed
Tyres must be solid state
No clip in pedals ( only strap and cage allowed)
Lightweight aero cycling Lycra is not permissible....

Oh shucks we are going back to the 1600s....where bike development doesn’t exist

jowwy

Now my target for the year is to get over 3000m on a bike shaped object - hope this doesn’t circumvent the non existent rules of leisure cycling

bladderhead

I have no target mileage. Never did. The amount of time I spent on a bike decreased and now I am hoping to increase it. I just want to get fit. For some reason I prefer a different type of target. I watch the average speed on my speedo. I did 20 miles today and when I got home it was saying 15mph. For the first time in two years. I think it was because I pumped my tyres up.

Maybe jowwy would be satisfied if I rode to Antarctica on a dandy-horse.

jowwy

I have no target mileage. Never did. The amount of time I spent on a bike decreased and now I am hoping to increase it. I just want to get fit. For some reason I prefer a different type of target. I watch the average speed on my speedo. I did 20 miles today and when I got home it was saying 15mph. For the first time in two years. I think it was because I pumped my tyres up.

Maybe jowwy would be satisfied if I rode to Antarctica on a dandy-horse.
Why add me to your post

Top Bottom