What should I carry around with me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daryn

Bought a carrera fury today and looking for advice on what I should carry around with me on long rides for emergency maintenance. Tools, small tool bags that connect to your frame or carry in a bag, tyres etc.

Thanks in advance guys

Depends how far you're riding?

Real basics - pump; p*nct*re repair kit (or a spare tube and tyre levers), multi-tool? Just a thought - try a dry run "repairing" a p*nct*re; much easier in the warmth of the kitchen, with the lights on .......... and pays dividends for your first real one (middle of the night, raining, miles from the nearest station :whistle:).

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Saddle bag - I've got a Topeak one, but there are lots to choose from.
Basic multi-tool - I've got Halford own cheapy one and it's done everything I've needed while out and about, but you can literally spend as much as you like here.
At least one spare tube, two would be better
Instant stick tube repair patches - Scabs seem quite well liked, but there are lots of brands to choose from.
Set of tyre levers
Either a small pump or CO2 canisters and an adapter - or both if you prefer. I've mounted my pump on the bike so I know it won't get forgotten, but some like to carry their pump in a pocket.
Mobile phone in case all the above fails ;)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Latex or similar gloves to keep your paws clean when doing that mucky tire stuff ... ^_^
Cable ties in various sizes
A bit later on - a chain tool, having practised breaking and making it a couple of times in the warmth of your home before you need it for real - just like the puncture repair ! :smile:

ALDI saddle bags are quite good and cheap enough - I have one of the expanding ones, which has been going strong for about 8 years now. I think it came with some very basic kit inside it too. :thumbsup:

Gamble1983

Regular
I always carry regardless of journey:

2x Inner Tubes
Box of scabs (puncture repair kit)
Pump
Mini Tool
2x Tyre Levers
Very compact Waterproof jacket

I carry them in a small rucksack everywhere i go regardless of distance, i Tend to be a thorn magnet so have mastered the art of a quick tube change :becool:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
For me its a rucksack (Deuter speedlite15) when i`m out on my mtb (a Carrera Fury :wub: :okay:). It takes everything I need - pump, tool set, loads of tubes, puncture repair kit, food, drinks and extra clothing. I popped in my longest mtb ride last weekend of 50km and I can honestly say that I did not notice that I was wearing it.

In the following order
1) Multi-tool with chain splitter. (might as well invest in one with a chain splitter)
2) Puncture repair kit (Tyre levers x 2, patches) usually retailed in a single box
3) Mini Pump with PSI of 100.
4) Spare tube
5) Spare chain link
All in a saddle bag.
Additional stuff if necessary
5) CO2 hooded canister with inflator

Small piece of rag or hand cleaning sachet.
Small first-aid/graze kit inc antiseptic wipe.
Allen keys for every bolt (in a folding multitool)
A small penkife blade (on tool) to pick glass and flint out of your tyre.
Practice replacing a tube in the rear wheel.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
MIne is similar to others:
Pump fitted to bike
In the saddle bag:
2 spare inner tubes
Multitool (x2) Bike one and a folding pliers/knife combo
Couple of cable ties
Couple of tyre levers
Puncture kit
Pair of latex gloves
Spare cleat bolt
Quick link
Emergency Snickers bar or handfull of Jelly Babies
Mobile 'phone
Loose change and tenner and/or credit card

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
Personally, whether road or mountain biking I like to have the following

Spare tube
Mini Pump
Small repair kit including, chain breaker, spare link, multitool, patches.
Latex or nitrile gloves x 2 pairs. One for working on the bike, one for the first aid kit.
Small first aid kit -gloves as above, plasters, steri wipes, sling bandage, painkillers and a space blanket. Keep it all in a ziplock bag.
Head torch.
Small cable ties.
Little hotties hand warmers.
Money - don't forget money. I keep a £20 and some assorted change in a small ziplock.
Mobile phone.

All of the above (except the phone and pump) will easily fit in a mid sized saddle bag. the pump can go in the rucksack if i'm carrying, if not it'll go in the jersey pocket.

If I'm heading up the mountains or out all day where I need to bring a rucksack I'll bring some extra food in wrappers. flapjacks, snack bars, chocolate and a raincoat. Maybe a small flask of coffee if it's really really cold.

adscrim

Veteran
Mini pump
Mini tool with chain splitter
Tyre levers
Spare quick link - I carry 10 and 11 speed to be a good samaritan
Tube
Patches - self adhesive
Cable ties
CO2
Valve extender - I carry a long valved tube but I or someone else might need it if we're having a very unlucky day.
Spare valve core
Part of an old spoke - amazing how many times a thin 'pokey thing' has come in useful.
Phone
Money

All but the pump and tube fits in a lezyne caddy sack and goes in the central jersey pocket. Pump and tube go in the left pocket and food in the right.

Might be a little over kill but I've just ordered an emergency rear mech hanger; I was buying other stuff from Rose Bikes and noticed this in there sale - £5.95.

For those of us in Scotland, try and track down a plastic fiver - I've got a couple of these in my pack too.

Tom B

Guru
Money for cake...and some sort of lock for securing the bike while you eat said cake

I am a minimalist but not that extreme. Ill quite often commute the 6 miles with nothing (My view is that it is a three mile walk at the worst and a bollocking for being late for work or late home) but any further and I protect against the p fairy.

If I am going some distance i have a CO2 inflator, scabs and two levers, on occasions I'll take a bag with an innertube. I've never really found a seat bag i am happy with so until that day I put the bits wrapped in a rag in a wide necked bottle in a bottle holder.

Since a kid I have always cycled with 10p sellotaped inside my helmet, now it's a £1coin or a fiver if I'm flush the idea is that it is for the phone, but a fiver usually ends up being spent on cake.

I don't bother with tools. I change chains as soon as they go past +0.5%.
The last chains I have snapped have all been on pool bikes that were badly maintained by a maintainer who wasn't interested. They were all knackard and all snapped within a mile of setting off. If a cable snaps then I can still move if slowley... But that's the risk of traveling light. - Don't forget some cycle insurers have recovery service/taxi fare claimage.

Top Bottom