What Turbo Trainer do you own?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

September

I want to buy a TT, but I also don't want to have the CC army bearing down on my for asking a question that has been asked before (God forbid!)... So, I thought I'd keep it more simple:

What Turbo Trainer do you own?

Additional brownie points for people that say why they bought it and what type of bike they use on it.

It'll be interesting to see what pops up more regularly because it could help guide the newbies when they're buying a TT for the first time.

Apologies if this is a duplicate thread - I couldn't spot anything else in my search results that looked similar...

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I bought a cheapo one from ebay. It cost around £45.00. And I have my hybrid attached to it. I bought it to use in the winter when it's snowing, freezing, ice or raining. Used it quite a lot last year.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I have an Elite magnetic, bought from Halfords on offer. I used it for recovery from an episode and have since relegated it to the loft, hopeful that it will not be needed again. I use it with my Trek road bike and don't fit special tyres, just fit it to the trainer and get on with it.
I have used it for 178 hateful miles and would rather ride in pouring rain than get it out of the loft again.

Sods_Laur

Bought a kurt kinetic in January this year. Wanted one which was quiet as we lived in a flat at the time. Have used it quite a lot tbf, I quite enjoy hunting out suitable workouts on YouTube and the like when it's chucking it down and don't want to ride. I put my road bike on it, no special tyres or anything. Can't say they have been particularly worn out either. A good purchase I think.

thefatcyclist

I bought a tacx folding trainer last year to use through the winter with the road bike. After buying a specific tyre,mat etc it cost about £250 and I used it three times . I am planning on giving it another go this winter though (even if its just to stop the wife mentioning that it was a waste of money).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I no longer own a TT - I now have a cheapo 'gym bike' which has a massive flywheel and a friction brake. It is permanently set up in the corner of my room so I can just hop on it any time. Sometimes I do a quick 15 minute spin while something is cooking.

I would like to buy something really good like a Wattbike but that is just a dream until I have a pot of spare cash to spend on such luxuries.

screenman

Legendary Member
Cateye CS-1000 with a handbuilt 653 Barron cycles fitted up with Ultegra and a few other bits, it has been on there for about 7 years now.

Best advice I could give is try and find a turbo with a sprung loaded roller, as they ride smoother.

Bought a kurt kinetic in January this year. Wanted one which was quiet as we lived in a flat at the time. Have used it quite a lot tbf, I quite enjoy hunting out suitable workouts on YouTube and the like when it's chucking it down and don't want to ride. I put my road bike on it, no special tyres or anything. Can't say they have been particularly worn out either. A good purchase I think.
What sort of thing do you look for on YouTube to help out?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There are quite a few you can look at. Try spinning classes. They do sessions/routines of varying length and difficulty. Then there are videos that show routes, in towns or hills or countryside that you can watch as you use your turbo trainer.

Tacx Genius with a Giant Defy 4 permanently fixed to it, bought specifically to train for long continental climbs.

A Tacx Blue Matic, bought mainly for swmbo to pop her hybrid on over winter, also for me to use in an evening in the conservatory when i didn't want to disturb the neighbours and didn't have afternoons free.

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
Elite fan turbo simple yet effective, I use my training bike on it a. Mud guarded paginini road bike with a rear wheel sensor for the computer

Top Bottom