What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5226934, member: 259"]It's a bit late in the day, but it's the first TV show which has made me want to move to Los Angeles, live on Woodrow Wilson Drive in a house overlooking LA, and become a homicide detective. Bosch makes Los Angeles look fantastic.[/QUOTE]

I read that as Boosh series 4. I wondered what you were going on about.

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 5226934, member: 259"]It's a bit late in the day, but it's the first TV show which has made me want to move to Los Angeles, live on Woodrow Wilson Drive in a house overlooking LA, and become a homicide detective. Bosch makes Los Angeles look fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Its the Michael Mann effect..i love the atmospherics with his films.

Heat, Collateral etc

Profpointy

Legendary Member
On bbc4 and listen-against

Dive ww2 - secret history.
First episode was about the anti-u-boat campaign out of Derry. Watched with trepidation as its usual on these sort of programmes to be really patronising, and they almost always claim there is some daft deadline to meet and pretend there's some kind of panic "will fred get the bends?" etc. Nope, none of that, just intelligent storytelling, on-the-ground archeology / history of nissen huts, interviews with eyewitnesses, superb diving footage, and an insight into the detective work to identify the wrecks. The diving was reasonably serious too it must be said, and I dive myself, albeit not as deep as they went. Superb !

And the other superb show - BBC young musicians of the year. Bloody hell, they aren't half good.
The highlight for me was the lad playing percussion (he won his heat), and the recorder girl in the woodwind (the lad playing sax, also good, won that),

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I’ve been watching Escape to the Chateau DIY. It’s on every day on Channel 4 (though I’ve been watching it on the All 4 app).

Brits in France doing up chateaux and running them as a business. Some great ideas for upcycling and simple ideas that could save you money.

Narrated by Dick Strawbridge with him giving the odd helping hand to some of the owners. For those that don’t know, it’s a spin off from Escape to the Chateau about Dick and family’s own chateau adventures.

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m enjoying it. Picking up all sorts of tips.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I’ve been watching Escape to the Chateau DIY. It’s on every day on Channel 4 (though I’ve been watching it on the All 4 app).

Brits in France doing up chateaux and running them as a business. Some great ideas for upcycling and simple ideas that could save you money.

Narrated by Dick Strawbridge with him giving the odd helping hand to some of the owners. For those that don’t know, it’s a spin off from Escape to the Chateau about Dick and family’s own chateau adventures.

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m enjoying it. Picking up all sorts of tips.

We're watching and enjoying this as well, but they are starting to annoy me with the clearly false peril that they keep engineering - "Henry and Fenella have just eight minutes to redecorate the master bedroom, plumb in the bathroom, tile and fill the Olympic sized swimming pool and prepare a gourmet nine course dinner for 12 before their guests arrive - oh look, all done just in time...again" :rolleyes:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
We're watching and enjoying this as well, but they are starting to annoy me with the clearly false peril that they keep engineering - "Henry and Fenella have just eight minutes to redecorate the master bedroom, plumb in the bathroom, tile and fill the Olympic sized swimming pool and prepare a gourmet nine course dinner for 12 before their guests arrive - oh look, all done just in time...again" :rolleyes:
Yes, I know what you mean, it’s very irksome. But conflict and suspense are supposed to make good TV so I understand why they do it even though it is very annoying. The 20-year-olds have surprised me since they appeared. They are making a good job of their chateau.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yes, I know what you mean, it’s very irksome. But conflict and suspense are supposed to make good TV so I understand why they do it even though it is very annoying. The 20-year-olds have surprised me since they appeared. They are making a good job of their chateau.

It just gets me cross when they do that. It was really great, and to be honest, a surprise, when the diving programme I mentioned upthread resisited the temptation. And likewise I always like the machinery restoration programme "salvage squad" which, despite having a contrived deadline each show, they were so half-hearted about it that it didn't detract from an otherwise excellent programme

Elysian_Roads

Started watching Game of Thrones from beginning. Never watched it before. It’s quite good. Too much gratuitous flesh, but it doesn’t get in the way of the story overly much. Currently on episode 3 of season 2. My favourite character has to be Tyrian Lannister who is simply lots of fun. Jon Snow is brooding which is fine in short doses. Joffrey is a sociopath. Robb Stark misses his father. Daenerys Targaryen is going to be a powerful force. Stanis Baratheon’s witch is one to watch.

Looking forward to watching more. I want to know what lurks further north of the Wall.
Without giving anything away, @RealLeeHimself, it pays to watch carefully, and remember everything! You will be tested later :okay:. Am tempted to buy the box set and rewatch every series to date before the final one airs next year.

I used to really enjoy the initial It's Not Easy Being Green' series, where Dick, family & wife of the time, bought the small-holding in Cornwall, near St Austell
I still envy that life/self-sufficiency

Plus, of course, Dick on Scraphead Challenge ('Brothers In Arms'???)

It just gets me cross when they do that. It was really great, and to be honest, a surprise, when the diving programme I mentioned upthread resisited the temptation. And likewise I always like the machinery restoration programme "salvage squad" which, despite having a contrived deadline each show, they were so half-hearted about it that it didn't detract from an otherwise excellent programme
Salvage Squad had some seemingly mismatched charactors
Jerry Thurston is a very experienced restorer, & writer for various magazines (Land Rovers & vintage tractors)
Claire Barratt, is a fully qualified Mechanical Engineer, & worked at several museums :wub:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I used to really enjoy the initial It's Not Easy Being Green' series, where Dick, family & wife of the time, bought the small-holding in Cornwall, near St Austell
I still envy that life/self-sufficiency

Plus, of course, Dick on Scraphead Challenge ('Brothers In Arms'???)

Salvage Squad had some seemingly mismatched charactors
Jerry Thurston is a very experienced restorer, & writer for various magazines (Land Rovers & vintage tractors)
Claire Barratt, is a fully qualified Mechanical Engineer, & worked at several museums :wub:

Agree - at first sight a bit of cliche posh totty, but actually a seriously capable engineer. I really rated that programme , and also valued how both presenters, Suggs of Madness and the comedian Lee Hurst, whilst both being quite legitimte stars in their own right stood back, and let the real story unfold

Agree - at first sight a bit of cliche posh totty, but actually a seriously capable engineer. I really rated that programme , and also valued how both presenters, Suggs of Madness and the comedian Lee Hurst, whilst both being quite legitimte stars in their own right stood back, and let the real story unfold

Favourite programmes for me
- Alvis Stalwart
- Morgan 3-wheeler (narration stated that it was 'around Wakefield', but it, or the shown locations didn't look recognisable)

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Got to the end of Preacher season 2, will reserve judgement until I see what season 3 looks like. Almost at the end of Extant season 2 and enjoying it immensely.

Top Bottom