What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Since all this madness, I've watched nearly every episode of M.A.S.H (brilliantly observed comedy-drama about a medical/surgical field hospital during the Korean war), Cheers (we went to the setting of this once when we were in Boston, Mass.) and Das Boot (compelling and addictive).

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
War of the Worlds (fox)... enjoyable enough but bears little resemblance to Jeff Wayne's classic :whistle:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Finally got round to watching Fleabag. Three episodes last night, which left me wondering what all the hype was about, and the final three tonight. It really does pick up from the retreat episode. Kind of heartbreaking, and then the reveal in the final episode. Very good, all in all.

velo.mouse

The film thread is getting all cluttered up with idiots like me rating serials, shows and documentaries.

So, here is the all encompassing TV thread.

Review and rate what you're watching or have recently watched, please hide spoilers behind tags!

I'll kick off with:

Making a Murderer - 6/10

A solid but at times frustrating account of Steven Avery. It's a pretty damning critique of the American legal process, and the commitment of the filmmakers is impressive. But some parts are repetitive and it really could have used a narrator to move things along.
Waiting for Season 2 of Taboo
Finished watching The Americans
Need something new to watch, any suggestions?
Rubber Side Down
🐭
WarriorMouseGurl

velo.mouse

Finally got round to watching Fleabag. Three episodes last night, which left me wondering what all the hype was about, and the final three tonight. It really does pick up from the retreat episode. Kind of heartbreaking, and then the reveal in the final episode. Very good, all in all.
Wish there was more after series 2...
Awesome show!!!
Rubber Side Down
🐭
WarriorMouseGurl

Adam4868

Guru
Watched the last episode of the Murdoch documentary last night.Enjoyed it for all the wrong reasons !
Anybody who watched Succession there's no doubt it was based on the Murdoch's.One of my favourite tv shows of last year.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Wild Swimming with Dr Alice Roberts (BBC/iPlayer)

A surprisingly informative and engaging meander through the history of swimming in rivers and lakes. Just the sort of thing BBC 4 does so well.
Please tell me she goes skinny dipping.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We're half way through series 2 of Gotham and I must say I'm going off it quite a lot. The plot's just about OK but the main antagonist is a bit of a one dimensional pantomime villain, unlike the far more interesting complex characters like Penguin, Fish Mooney etc. Maybe the writing is poor but I'm caring less about the characters - the regulars are still good actors but they aren't being given the lines. Even the usually compelling Alfred isn't getting much to work with. I guess I'll plough theough the rest of this series to see what happens but not sure I'll be watching any more - pity; the first series was first class

We're half way through series 2 of Gotham and I must say I'm going off it quite a lot. The plot's just about OK but the main antagonist is a bit of a one dimensional pantomime villain, unlike the far more interesting complex characters like Penguin, Fish Mooney etc. Maybe the writing is poor but I'm caring less about the characters - the regulars are still good actors but they aren't being given the lines. Even the usually compelling Alfred isn't getting much to work with. I guess I'll plough theough the rest of this series to see what happens but not sure I'll be watching any more - pity; the first series was first class
@Profpointy
Trying to remember the main antagonist at that point in the run
Was it Jeremiah?

It was an interesting development of Bruce, & his anger/drive
Alfred; was good to see a more 'vicious' side to him, as the ex Royal Marine (or was it SAS?), yet still urbane

Jim Gordon, & Harvey Bullock casting was great, as if was for a young Leslie Thompkins

On a more recent note, there was some nice 'connects' in Batwoman (last episode on Sunday)

1. Kate Kane is Bruces cousin (and.... a Bob Kane was the original Batman creator)

2. Luke Fox, who helps her (as much as an Alfred figure) is Lucius Foxes son

3. there's a Julia Pennyworth, daughter of Alfred............
- who in one episode, says "Luke, a pleasure, as always" as she leaves
Michael Caine (as Alfred) says it to Morgan Freeman (Lucius), in one of the Christian Bale Batman films

4. There's a toy dinosaur in the 'batcave', as a reference to the (1990s) animated series, as that had a full size T-Rex model (robot?)

5. Kevin Conroy, who voiced Batman/Bruce in the (most excellent) 90's animation plays Bruce Wayne

6. In one episode, Luke tells Kate, when she asks why Bruce has seemingly disappeared, that The Joker in not in Arkham
Insinuating that Batman killed him..... Joker dies in 'The Dark Knight Returns' graphic novel

Last edited:
Cold War. Polish arthouse b/w movie about musicians in communist postwar Poland. Much better than it sounds.
Oscar nominated because that year there were no b/w movies about goat herds and their grandfathers in the mountains of Stanistan.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
"Celebrity" MasterChef.

Celebrity is probably pushing the boundaries quite a bit - the Olympians fair enough, and the bloke who was in Quadrophenia, a Blur video and EastEnders about ten years ago will be known to a few, but the rest of them?

When will programme makers realise there are only so many actually famous people to go round?

Top Bottom