What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I liked the first series of the Fall...then it went downhill for me.Still watched it though,mainly for my partners love of Jamie Dornan and Belfast !

The first episode of the remaking of All Creatures Great & Small :okay::notworthy:

I found it quite excellent, with the only difference being the lack of awkwardness that Christopher Timothy portrayed, with his move from Glasgow to the North RIding
Samuel West seems spot on as a slightly younger Siegfried, & Mrs Hall, likewise younger
(but still willing to stand up to her boss, as did the actress, in the TV series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Creatures_Great_and_Small_(2020_TV_series)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My eldest recently put me onto Strike, which had previously completely passed me by. Just finished the first series on iPlayer and I have to say I really enjoyed it. As with any buddy movie it relies on you liking or not liking the main characters, and I like these. Never close to spotting whodunit, but in truth given my record that's not saying much.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
we've been watching the Umbrella Academy on Netflix. It's based on a comic book series apparently. Plot sounded a bit cliched with a group of children with superpowers being brought up by an eccentric billionaire - so far very like x-men and the trailer looked utter shyte, but thankfully we read some reviews and it's really very good indeed. There's a time travelling schoolboy, a pair of ruthless time-travelling assassins, one played (rather well) by pop singer Mary J blige, a looming apocalypse, and lots of little clues which all turn into some something important. Even the intelligent talking monkey family retainer is really good rather than being annoying as he seemed in the trailer.

So far rather good !
I watched the 1st series a year or two ago and honestly can't remember much about it... it's still on my HD so can't have been total pants otherwise I'd have deleted it. I might have to go back and have another look.

in other news:
Brave New World was mostly excellent.
Altered Carbon was enjoyable enough but i won't bother watching any more than series 1... the premise makes it too easy for the writers to kill off main characters and bring them back as anyone they want, which i suspect they'll keep doing, over and over and [yawn].

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
My eldest recently put me onto Strike, which had previously completely passed me by. Just finished the first series on iPlayer and I have to say I really enjoyed it. As with any buddy movie it relies on you liking or not liking the main characters, and I like these. Never close to spotting whodunit, but in truth given my record that's not saying much.
Like you, I've only just discovered Strike, and I'm enjoying it. There's quite a lot of dry humour, which I like and sometimes parts are reminiscent of Sherlock, which is also good. Eagerly awaiting Sunday's episode.

lane

Veteran
Been watching a couple of series on Amazon. First I watched Kingdom series 1 to 3 with a free Acorn TV trial. I really enjoyed it. Lots of really nice scenic shots of Norfolk and a real feel good TV series made in around 2008 starring Stephen Fry. Series 3 wasn't quite as good in my opinion still enjoyed watching this. Then watched series 1 and 2 of Goliath which, despite being largely nonsense (especially series 2) I quite enjoyed and will watch series 3.

However I am struck by how different it is to be a lawyer in Market ship-borough in Norfolk compared to LA. No one even comes close to having their arms and legs cut off in Norfolk, although to be fair Stephen Fry's character Peter Kingdom did have a bit of bother form a gangster - but it was a much more civilized type of gangster.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A couple of those newfangled 'web series' things. Kind of annoying because each episode is around 8 minutes long but once I queued them all up, the niggle of frequently selecting the next episode and pressing play disappeared completely.

When the Street Lights Go On... a coming of age tale about the teenagers of a small town in the aftermath of a double murder. It's like grim yet great version of The Wonder Years, that thankfully doesn't go on for years and years.
Most Dangerous Game... a terminally ill bloke enters a game of cat & mouse in return for lots of money to leave his wife and unborn child. Fast paced action, a bit silly and nonsensical in places but enjoyable nonetheless.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Been watching a couple of series on Amazon. First I watched Kingdom series 1 to 3 with a free Acorn TV trial. I really enjoyed it. Lots of really nice scenic shots of Norfolk and a real feel good TV series made in around 2008 starring Stephen Fry. Series 3 wasn't quite as good in my opinion still enjoyed watching this. Then watched series 1 and 2 of Goliath which, despite being largely nonsense (especially series 2) I quite enjoyed and will watch series 3.

However I am struck by how different it is to be a lawyer in Market ship-borough in Norfolk compared to LA. No one even comes close to having their arms and legs cut off in Norfolk, although to be fair Stephen Fry's character Peter Kingdom did have a bit of bother form a gangster - but it was a much more civilized type of gangster.

Watched Kingdom when it was originally on ITV - series one was excellent, series two still good, but the quality really dropped for series three and it was dropped. Didn't realise it was 12 years ago!

Don't let me put you off, but Goliath follows the same pattern. Series 3 is by far the weakest.

Cuntryfile
View attachment 542211
Very little in life gets me more annoyed.
This is an asparagus boat made by some very rich 'country farmer'. The importance he attributes to this weird middle-class farkin effort underlies the basics of disparity in the UK for the last 300 years.
We don't farkin care!, 'Dear farmer, think about caring for society more, not just your money-grabbing weirdo self-indulgences of legume sculpture', you idiotic rich tit.
The BBC are the best in the world.
But they are by far the worst in the world at propagating this dreadful sham TV to, what?, the post 80's dementia riddled viewers. FFS could do much better.
😂 If countryfile appears on the TV at my house my partner usually says oh let's see what new wheeled toys "farmer" Matt has bought to play on.

2nd episode of All Creatures Great & Small (last night)
It introduced;
- Tristan
- Mrs Pumphrey (Diana Rigg)
- a bit of a back-story about Mrs Hall (she's an ex 'WRNS', but stripes were mentioned), & a wayward son too
Possibly a widow?

This evenings Star-Trek : Deep Space 9 when I got home from work, & was drinking tea
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Bedfellows_(Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Im not a huge Bake Off fan, which started last night, but please can we have a moment to take in the wonder of the Freddie cake.

Adam4868

Guru
Watching Nurse Ratched on Netflix at the moment..( the nurse character from One flew over a cuckoo's nest film) Three episodes in and love it.Its gory at times,well for me anyway.Love the cinematography and colours,outfits in it.Bit Hitchcocky/Kubrick if that makes sense !

Top Bottom