What winds you up about cyclists you may see when driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I feel sorry for those cyclists rather than irritated by them. They've obviously been conditioned by previous experience of aggressive motorists to feel that the gutter is where they need to be.

If I can see a cyclist lacks confidence (eg if they're riding in the gutter), I will hang even further back in the hope that it will help them feel less intimidated.

Perhaps they are just very confident cyclists who are happy in any position on the road, I usually ride where the surface looks best (on a road near me I regularly use, that means on the wee bit to the side of the white line at the edge of the road), but will always try to help if somebody is trying to overtake, especially big and/or slow vehicles, why wouldn't you.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
People who wave with their right hand.
I am left handed so I wave to people with my left and feel cycling etiquette should be observed and a return wave should be with the left , it wrecks with my OCD .. I get all cuffuffled ..

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
When "cyclists" in my town respond to local authority consultations regarding cycling provision/infrastructure by saying they think cycling in the town is very enjoyable, our long-distance cycle-routes don't need any of that new-fangled tarmac, that 8-year-olds have no business cycling anywhere unaccompanied, et cetera, et cetera.

Is it ok if that "winds me up"?

Last edited:

GilesM

Legendary Member
People who wave with their right hand.
I am left handed so I wave to people with my left and feel cycling etiquette should be observed and a return wave should be with the left , it wrecks with my OCD .. I get all cuffuffled ..

That is just your OCD telling you that being left handed is wrong.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Being told it is my riding style that is the problem. When I don't actually have a problem with riding around my town, just want to make riding around my town a little more appealing to people not as experienced at riding bikes in urban traffic as me.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Discovered on Friday that a colleague pavement rides, bedecked in h*lm*t and hi-vis, on the pavement, despite the cycle lane, part of which is separate to the road, all the way from the office to the roundabout near my house and only takes to the tarmac there for the really dangerous bit over the iron bridge!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Discovered on Friday that a colleague pavement rides, bedecked in h*lm*t and hi-vis, on the pavement, despite the cycle lane, part of which is separate to the road, all the way from the office to the roundabout near my house and only takes to the tarmac there for the really dangerous bit over the iron bridge!
I take it this is typical of your employer's understanding of risk?

petek

Über Member
Cyclists who adopt enormous fat tyres.
Why is that?
Surely the rolling resistance leads to unnecessary hard work.
All else is fine.
Cyclists are the salt of the earth, one and all.
:smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cyclists who adopt enormous fat tyres.
Why is that?
All else is fine.
Cyclists are the salt of the earth, one and all.
:smile:
Cyclists who adopt really thin tyres.
Why is that?
All else is fine.
Cyclists are the salt of the earth, one and all ,and thus should be dissolved in the sea or buried underground?

Top Bottom