What's going on with the cyclist in this image?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
4118.jpg

It's illustrating a Guardian article about Oxford Street (no mention of cyclists in the main article), but I am mystified by the cyclist. Has she an Ironman style power pack replacing her heart, or is it a weird photographic artefact, and it's in from the taxi behind her?

Or a light that clips onto clothing/bag strap?

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Whatever happened to those lights which projected back onto the rider's clothing? I remember seeing videos and they looked good if wearing hi viz, but never saw one in the flesh as it were. I suppose it was tricky to avoid wrecking your night vision.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
At first I thought it was photoshopped to try and head off the 'bloody cyclists' comments, but the shadows look too good. She could still get pinged for no lights though.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
And those taxis - they really shouldn't be black, should they?
Are yes but the people inside the taxi are enclosed by a metal box, seat belts, air bags, abs, etc etc.

Some bright colourful contrasting clothing wouldn't go a miss ;)
It occurred to me once while crossing Piccadilly Circus, that no amount of lighting was going to make you visible there. You just can't compete with all the headlights, the street lighting, the neon and the reflections in the water. Oxford Street is much the same. A vigilant driver will see you, even if you are unlit. A non-vigilant one won't see you no matter what you do.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
It occurred to me once while crossing Piccadilly Circus, that no amount of lighting was going to make you visible there. You just can't compete with all the headlights, the street lighting, the neon and the reflections in the water. Oxford Street is much the same. A vigilant driver will see you, even if you are unlit. A non-vigilant one won't see you no matter what you do.
Yeah agree, it's tough in those conditions, in those surroundings, just got to hope everyone's on their game.
Sorry I didn't intend to derail your thread. It was done to death last week :ph34r:

Top Bottom