What's in a cleat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I have purchased myself some SPD-SL clipless road pedals, along with some DHB shoes. I have shimano yellow cleats. I am after some advice please on what the different colour (and therefore angled) cleats will do for me?

Thanks, Paul

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Make you fall off sideways when you come to a stop when you forget you are using them! ^_^

OP
OP
The 300lb Cyclist
Many thanks for your reply, I will have a read.
I have gone from complete newbie on flats to full on road pedals. They're fantastic! Yes, I have had a couple of moments but not (yet) actually fallen off. I find, as a newbie, they come into their own on climbs when I need an extra 5% and by actually focussing on my pedalling technique rather than the hill in front of me, I become more efficient and can actually get up the hill. The bad news is that the (plastic) cleats wear quite quickly if you do walk in them, which by the way, I have no issue with. I would advise using them but then I have not tried anything else.

Thanks again for your reply. If you're inclined, please follow me on my journey, which I am blogging about here

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi,

I have purchased myself some SPD-SL clipless road pedals, along with some DHB shoes. I have shimano yellow cleats. I am after some advice please on what the different colour (and therefore angled) cleats will do for me?

Thanks, Paul
It’s the float ie movement you can get in the pedal. Probably covered in the beginner FAQ. Nothing to do with performance but more your lower limb anatomy

You can get cleat covers if you can be bothered

OP
OP
The 300lb Cyclist
It’s the float ie movement you can get in the pedal. Probably covered in the beginner FAQ. Nothing to do with performance but more your lower limb anatomy

You can get cleat covers if you can be bothered
Thanks for your help. Yes, I have seen cleat covers but I feel I walk in them that little, aside from getting on/off my bike, I am not sure it is worth the investment. Thanks for that and that is what I gather; Having had a read of the above, I think I will purchase myself some blue cleats when the time comes around - and they'll match my helmet! :rolleyes:.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
As Vickster says the yellow ones give the most degrees of movement while you foot is clipped in. This is especially useful for beginners as incorrect cleat positioning can lead to knee pain and injury, so it is more forgiving of slightly incorrect cleat positioning.

If after riding around extensively your knees are fine and cleat positioning is fine, its fine to change to the blue or red cleats, if you are OK with the restricted movement.

Top tip: when you come to changing your cleats, and assuming they are well positioned, before you remove the old ones draw round them with felt tip pen onto your shoe, so you can exactly replicate the cleat position when you put the new ones on, so you don't have to fiddle and fettle to get the positioning correct from scratch.

And good luck on your journey.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've just been pondering whether to give road cleats a go rather than my current 2 bolt spds. I decided against it in the end, but I did come across a few interesting articles in my researches. Here's one about the different colours.
https://www.mantel.com/blog/en/shimano-cleats/

Although obviously I can't give you any first hand advice, because I decided not to try them!
I went from the 2 bolt SPD, to 'Look Delta' then SPD-SL and back to 2 bolt SPD. Reasons - the kind of cycling and bikes I ride these day, they allow the old 2 bolt system to be used with single sided pedals. I found the old Look-Delta far superior to SPD-SL however having a much more positive action - though far more lethal on shiny floors!
No help to 300lb, but most people seem to get-on with SPD-SL just fine. Just slacken the pedals right-off and practice in the park near grass....

Also, sit on the edge of a table, relax, see which way your feet naturally dangle and take that into account when fitting your cleats :-)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

OP
OP
The 300lb Cyclist
Thanks for your help guys. Taken it all on board and after my 60 miler tomorrow I will probably have to return to the forum to remind myself of what i'd taken on board! Have a good weekend!

Top Bottom