Whats the best compromise of lens tint for low light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkeypony

Greetings all, long time lerker - first time poster. :ohmy:

I recently invested in a pair of prescription riding sunglasses and am absolutely loving them. So much so that I'm going to invest in another set of lenses for use when its not sunny (which is most of the time).

At £160 a pop I can only afford to get 1 additional set so what tint what you guys suggest would be the best for dusk/overcast/night riding. Mainly road with occasional off road.

Any help is greatly appreciated

ATB

Simon

Fiona N

Veteran
I use the orangey/yellow Oakley lenses for pretty much all riding if it's not actually sunny. I find in low light they make things look brighter (you have to be a bit careful with this as I often notice cars have their lights on while it still looks like full daylight to me), and a grey day looks much nicer but they're not too dark to use at night as well (although it's like being in France in the '80s and before with yellow car headlights). I do have clear lenses as well but if it's a dusk to dark situation, I much prefer the yellow lenses and save the clear ones for full darkness.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
yellow is really good for fog and snow low light conditions etc but you might want to get a lens that has a slight orangey tint to it as it gives a better all rounder at night and in low light conditions.is it possible to take a sample colour lens from the opticians to try out if you're forking out for the prescription -might give you a better idea of what works for you

redjedi

Über Member
I've got "all condition red" lenses for my Tifosi frames. Great for all but the sunniest conditions.

Have you tried RX clip on, so you can have interchangeable lenses?

Rudy project do them

yenrod

I got some rose tinted and they are fantastic - they even dip down brightness of headlights, very slightly.

Top Bottom