Whats the fastest you have cycled ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
Between Ardleigh and Manningtree, the descent of Cox's Hill. It was my ambition to hit 60 mph on a steel 10 speed Raleigh with 27" wheels. I never made it. 57 mph was the best I managed.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
42mph on my MTB with nobbleys, downhill with a good wind behind me. It was the only time i got over 40 to my knowledge.

I ditched the cycle computer years ago as trying to cycle one MPH faster then my current speed was knackering. :blush:

Bman

Guru
About 38-39mph according to the Garmin. I havnt broken the 40mph barrier yet.

Although it would be a nice milestone, I dont go out of my way to attempt it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A recorded 49.6 mph down from Cap Griz Nez towards Calais with the Mother of all Tailwinds.
I'm sure I topped 55 going down Ventoux, but my computer had packed up.
And I've done nearly 38 mph on the Brommie. That was a little hairy...

D

Deleted member 1258

I haven't got a clue, seriously I don't know what was the fastest speed I've ever managed.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Between Ardleigh and Manningtree, the descent of Cox's Hill. It was my ambition to hit 60 mph on a steel 10 speed Raleigh with 27" wheels. I never made it. 57 mph was the best I managed.

Ooh I know where you mean, I've not tried that yet...

sittingbull

Veteran
maxspeed.jpg

....that was on the flat on the MTB on knobblies!

....sadly it's not true. 3 or 4 times during the 5 years the Cateye has been on the MTB I've had spurious readings and every time I can recollect a (relatively) close pass by a Police car or ambulance on flashing blue lights and siren. So I'm putting it down to radio interference on the wireless transmitter.

A more accurate figure would be 30mph (on the flat on knobblies, with a tail-wind).

One bloke I know was stopped and cautioned by the Police for doing 37mph in a 30 zone.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think 44mph, but it does quickly get more and more terrifying.

I was thinking the other day how fragile i feel over about 35mph, but that TdF riders fall off at speed fairly frequently.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Downhill on tarmac on a 17kg MTB that really shouldn't have been on the road at all due to entirely defective tyres and brakes.......about the same as Mr Bradley Wiggins averaged in the Olympic TT. 33mph.

Pitiful really.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
When I went on a forum ride last weekend, there were some lovely long steep hills which I am sure I could have topped 50mph on. Unfortunately as I didnt know them well, the most I got was 43.8.

I have a hill near me nicknamed Engine Hill (dont know why). It is very long for about 3 miles and the steepest part is right at the top. I am pretty lucky where I live as I have the NW hills and the Clwydians heading down to sea level.
This weekend I might set myself a target of getting some high speeds in.

Top Bottom