Whats the fastest you have cycled ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
42mph. To go faster I'd need the road to have a good surface, be straight, car free and without wind. Don't often get all of those combinations.

My proudest high speed was 39.9mph on my rigid mtb with mudguards and panniers on a flat road - aided by a strong tailwind

Nebulous

Guru
49.9 mph on a somewhat unsuitable hill with a sharp bend. 50mph has long been a target of mine. Pedalled to low 30's, tucked down, nose almost on the stem, afraid to look at the computer. Then I braked down for the corner, convinced I must have made it. I got home uploaded to Garmin Connect and it came up with 49.9.

I'll be back to try again - though possibly on a better hill.

GrasB

Veteran
42mph. To go faster I'd need the road to have a good surface, be straight, car free and without wind. Don't often get all of those combinations.
:huh:... I regularly hit 45mph going down this hill which is nether flat not straight. V-Max is usually hit just before the apex of the corner as that's when you have to stop pedalling.

As for my max speed, somewhere north of 110km/h :eek:

Max speed (solo) on the flat looks to be about 75km/h

Teuchter

Über Member
You'd have to drop me out of a plane to achieve some of these quoted speeds on a pushbike!

I'd guess max speed would have to be around the 40 mark. I did set off the "Watch your speed" warning sign dropping into the 30 zone in Lochwinnoch last time I rode there but had no computer fitted or GPS gizmo tracking my every move (Endomondo annoys me).

I need to stop avoiding big hills by the looks of it.

Matt1705

Über Member
I managed just over 30mph on my mtb a few years ago, not sure how accurate the cycle computer was though.

I've yet to set the cycle computer up on my road bike ;-)

alans

black belt lounge lizard
86kph on the A490 from the top (Cedifga) down (southbound) towards Welshpool.I bottled it at that point in that I was using the full width of my side of the road & had to brake to get round the bends without crossing the white line.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I had what might be the last ride on my current bike this morning so I have it every ounce of strength I had, right up until I came hurtling up behind a van and had to feather the brakes to avoid discovering what the rear doors tasted like. My phone (Strava and Endomondo) report that moment as being 47.4mph, I'm going to check my Holux GPS as it's always more accurate.

tadpole

42.6 mph average over a 1.6mile decent (including the last 26 seconds of hard breaking to make a 90degree right hand turn) by Chew valley lake, near Bristol.

Fastest I have got on the bike was 55mph downhill off the back of the Rhigos (south road, the straight bit) earlier this year. Serious brown trouser time as it was a bit windy too :eek:.

Was that coming from Treherbet? I often max out on my mountain bike on that strait but I will try it on my road bike one day. The fastest I have on that was about 44mph near pontardawe. Would have gone even faster were it not for the van I was slip streaming blocking my way.

on the road

Über Member
maxspeed.jpg

....that was on the flat on the MTB on knobblies!

....sadly it's not true. 3 or 4 times during the 5 years the Cateye has been on the MTB I've had spurious readings and every time I can recollect a (relatively) close pass by a Police car or ambulance on flashing blue lights and siren. So I'm putting it down to radio interference on the wireless transmitter.

A more accurate figure would be 30mph (on the flat on knobblies, with a tail-wind).

One bloke I know was stopped and cautioned by the Police for doing 37mph in a 30 zone.
You think that's fast? I've done 99mph while standing still at traffic lights. :wacko:

Top Bottom