What's the naughtiest thing that you have ever done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
It was only a one-way street though, tough guy!
and it was pedestrianised

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
When I was at uni in Birmingham, I was the only one of my circle of friends who had a car - albeit a beaten up old Hillman Minx (Hunter type). Andy, one of my mates who was normally outgoing, and always the centre of attention, started sneaking off quietly for a couple of hours at a time, and wouldn't tell any of us where he was going. We worked out that, as he had failed his driving test (as I recall) about 5 times already, that he must have been sneaking off for more lessons. Andy eventually admitted this, and told us a few funny tales about his rather zany driving instructor, but still kept the times of his lessons a secret.

He was always the type to dish out loads of stick, and was overdue some payback. One day 3 of us saw him sneaking out, and we all quickly ran to my car. We saw him getting on a number 63 bus, and tailed him at a discreet distance until he got off in central Birmingham on the Bristol Road. I parked up wihin sight of the driving school offices, and we watched him getting in and pulling away in the car. This was our moment. We tailed him for a couple of minutes before pulling up alongside hime at the traffic lights at a major road junction near the Edgbaston cricket ground. Two of my mates leaned out of the window and jeered, and one started a shouted conversation with the instructor about whether Andy was any good .At this point, I should point out that one of the funny things Andy had told us about his instructor was that he was prone to unusual outbursts of song, with lyrics such as "hey dig a dig, f**k a little pig". One of my mates proceeded to start singing that exact ditty out loud, thereby making it obvious that Andy had been talking about him behind his back. Needless to say, Andy went bright red and lost it, big time, kangarooing the car several times before stalling it and having difficulty re-starting! We drove off laughing, but thinking it was time to leave him to it, or he really might have had a crash.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I completely agree they were extreme examples. The point is that they were extreme examples of the same culture as manifested in a much less extreme form by your anecdotes. How to produce an army that is tough, effective, aggressive - more tough and more aggressive than the enemy - but which does not let those qualities tip over into unacceptable extremes is a problem which I don't think any country which has felt it necessary to have an army at all has ever cracked.
Agreed @swansonj almost in this posts entirety.

& before I press on, I shouted at you earlier & for this I apologise.

Now with almost a 1/4 century of learning & maturing (to an extent) since those days & with the benefit of hindsight, yes, my/our (hard to do these things on your own) actions probably were unacceptable & definitely by modern standards.

Of all these pranks/initiations, (bullying) call them what you feel is right, I remember that every single person was in high spirits immediately after & for months sometimes years later, friendships were not frayed by them & nobody left because of them, complained about them or went mad.

In those days as I said somewhere else, these things were viewed as character building, as was fighting etc.

Do these things always go unpunished some might ask ?
No, not always & punishment in the armed forces is very different & often can be much more severe, depending on the offence.

When talking about cultures, we could also talk about a period of institutionalised racism in the police force, football hooliganism, religious extremism or endemic expenses fraud in government as well as quite criminal cultures of the banking & high finance industries.

When some people talk about torture I feel that they couldn't even qualify their comment.

If a soldier for instance broke down because they were unable to cope with the examples I put forward (and I certainly didn't break down over same or similar events) what would they do when subjected to real torture, at war, by people who really mean them harm ??

"We are going to chop off your head" @ the hands of a mad Dictators army for an extreme example.

When I left (post Deepcut) things had already started to change, there were even yellow & red card systems being brought in at basic training units for recruits to use against NCO's/D.I's.

There were recruits refusing to carry out orders/instructions etc & instructors were not allowed to touch a recruit to certain extents.

Where do we stop ?

What will those recruits do when given a direct order, maybe in a theatre of war ?

No, maybe I wasn't right, but was anyone really harmed ?

Were they tortured as one person suggested ?

I think not.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Bomb making. A small group of my friends at school built larger and larger devices filled with an explosive recipe for gunpowder gleaned from Encyclopedia Britannica. Back then, all the ingredients were available over the counter from the local chemist. Our last device used the CO2 gas cylinder from a large industrial fire extinguisher as the casing and featured electrical detonation, some steel wool attached to a motorcycle battery via a switch. We took Big Boy to a hillside outside town and cowered behind a sheet of corrugated iron for safety, about thirty yards from Ground Zero. Nothing happened when we closed the switch so we cautiously approached to investigate. When we were half way across No Mans Land there was an almighty explosion. The sound of shrapel hissing past our heads is still memorable. No trace of our masterpiece remained, just a small crater.
I suppose it was more stupid than naughty. Oh my, how we giggled.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Pack it in you two. If you want to snipe, do it in PM; you'll end up getting the thread locked.
You're right Andy & I have set to ignore, time to move on.

Ta.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was bet a whole lollipop by my cousin, that I daren't write the rudest word I knew on the wall with some chalk.
I was about 6 at the time and wrote 'BUM' in big letters and ran like hell.

He didn't give me my lolly and the little sod told my Mum who gave me a hiding. Lesson learned, never trust your cousin. A couple of days later, when we were walking to Nan's house, Bum could still be seen very clearly on the wall. Mum tutted about such a disgusting word being free for everyone to read. I just giggled a bit.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I was RN so our pranks tended to be more technical and less brutish.

J was a notoriously heavy sleeper, famed for it. One night we lifted up his bed (with him still in it), disassembled it and carried him and the pieces out of the mess, down the stairs and across to the parade ground where we reassembled everything. J slept on, blissfully unaware. In the morning, he was rudely awakened by the Gunnery Officer screaming two inches from his ear "What the **** are you doing on my parade ground?"

We could be cruel too though. At Sultan we got a Marine transferred to us. This guy was a nutcase, loads of stories where he was big and hard followed by periods of depression and crying. He was always threatening suicide. One day his mess-mates came in to find a window wide open and him dangling from the window-ledge two storeys up. They looked out, saw it was him then shut the window. Outside a small crowd gathered and started chanting "Jump, jump, jump"

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Several years ago, a colleague (nicknamed Jock because he was Scottish) who constantly annoyed people with childish mickey taking bought a brand new Vauxhall Chevette (shows how long ago), it was his pride and joy and he wouldn't stop telling everyone what a great car it was compared to their particular old banger / rust bucket. One day another colleague (John) who was often the target of Jock's annoying antics brought in a gallon whisky bottle full of halfpennies, sneaked into the car park, took off the hub caps on Jock's lovely Chevette, filled them with the little coins and replaced them.

The next day Jock came in and was very worried about the loud clanking that his car was making, so John just smiled and told him to get it checked out as the warranty would cover any faults. Jock took John's advice and took his car in that afternoon, collecting it on his way home.

The following day Jock came in with a face like thunder, cursing and swearing and vowing to get even with the b*****d who had tampered with his car to which the dozen or so people in the office began sniggering, but when John shouted across the office, "Jock, can I have my halfpennies back now?" the said dozen or so people were absolutely helpless with laughter for the next 10 minutes........Jock was far less annoying thereafter.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Several years ago, a colleague (nicknamed Jock because he was Scottish) who constantly annoyed people with childish mickey taking bought a brand new Vauxhall Chevette (shows how long ago), it was his pride and joy and.............. like thunder, cursing and swearing and vowing to get even with the b*****d who had tampered with his car to which the dozen or so people in the office began sniggering, but when John shouted across the office, "Jock, can I have my halfpennies back now?" the said dozen or so people were absolutely helpless with laughter for the next 10 minutes........Jock was far less annoying thereafter.

I did something similar with my Dad's Austin Maxi, using pebbles in the hub caps....oh how I laughed....until he found out what I'd done!

A post about rolled up socks reminded me of being a teenager in an area of tight jeans.

For those of fewer years and more naive....

There was an alleged habit of putting rolled up socks down one's trouser leg to "enhance the profile of one's manhood"

We went down to London and one of the guys we were with put rolled up socks down both trouser legs.

Needless to say there were a few double tkes form the female population, not only the exaggerated size, but also the duplication

Top Bottom