What's with the fuel prices! And cheap whisky, apparently ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
15 mile drive yesterday on E10, mostly motorway but a few miles of normal roads...

20220712_155055.jpg

Not bad at all for a 2ltr petrol, mostly 60mph, temps outside help a lot .
A lot of cars missing on the roads IMO and lots that have slowed diwn a bit.

D

Deleted member 26715

Not bad at all for a 2ltr petrol, mostly 60mph, temps outside help a lot .
A lot of cars missing on the roads IMO and lots that have slowed diwn a bit.

Outside temperatures will make your figures worse, the colder the fuel the denser it is, the more bang you get for your bucks, totally impractical but you should always fill up when it's as cold as possible.

But good if cars are slowing down, it's not something I've seen in the village, still getting overtaken when doing 30mph in the 30mph zone.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Outside temperatures will make your figures worse, the colder the fuel the denser it is, the more bang you get for your bucks, totally impractical but you should always fill up when it's as cold as possible.

But good if cars are slowing down, it's not something I've seen in the village, still getting overtaken when doing 30mph in the 30mph zone.
I get better figures when it's warm, even when using air con. (I never use air con on my own but I've been taxiing people around while it's been hot and I've been keeping an eye on how it affects fuel consumption.)

gbb

Legendary Member

Nah, every summer my fuel consumption improves, winter it worsens. Come winter, I'll be struggling to get 50mpg on the same run. Ive been doing the same run for 5 years, cold temps really hit consumption.
The fuel density sounds right, I've heard that but reality for me is a great deal more mpg in higher temps.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Watch out, watch out, some smug leccy car driver will be along in a moment.

Me, however, cycled to work today. Zero cost.👅

D

Deleted member 26715

I get better figures when it's warm, even when using air con. (I never use air con on my own but I've been taxiing people around while it's been hot and I've been keeping an eye on how it affects fuel consumption.)

Nah, every summer my fuel consumption improves, winter it worsens. Come winter, I'll be struggling to get 50mpg on the same run. Ive been doing the same run for 5 years, cold temps really hit consumption.
The fuel density sounds right, I've heard that but reality for me is a great deal more mpg in higher temps.
As I understand it/was advised the colder the air the better the bang & less fuel used, hence why sports cars try to get cold air into the throttle body, also fuel is denser the colder it gets. Potentially you get worse fuel in winter due to having to warm the engine up, also the air is denser so maybe it takes more to push through it, unfortunately I'm not a scientist just relating what I have been told which may or may not be brolacs.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Watch out, watch out, some smug leccy car driver will be along in a moment.

Me, however, cycled to work today. Zero cost.👅

Smug leccy driver (or, hybrid) = me :becool:

But I did cycle to work today. Mainly because a) my work's car park is shut and b) with bike racks on the roof it won't fit.

But I bought a croissant with my coffee for the re-sit drop-in session that no-one's attended so far. At a discount, so 60p, but not quite a 'free' commute.

vickster

Legendary Member
Smug leccy driver (or, hybrid) = me :becool:

But I did cycle to work today. Mainly because a) my work's car park is shut and b) with bike racks on the roof it won't fit.

But I bought a croissant with my coffee for the re-sit drop-in session that no-one's attended so far. At a discount, so 60p, but not quite a 'free' commute.

And you won the car in a competition so should be super smug (the smug leccy (aka Tesla) car drivers will however tell you that hybrids are crap :rolleyes:)

Top Bottom