What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big T

Guru
Just signed up to my first ever Audax, will be easing myself into it with the 100km AUK Life Biggins at Forty.
It's also an area I know well having grown up nearby, so doubly appealing for me as a newbie in case things don't quite go to plan first time out.

I plan to do a couple of 100's before attempting a 200 later in the year, let see how it goes.

I'm doing that one too with a few mates. Look out for our Green and Yellow jerseys. Our club nickname is the Parrots.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just had a peek at the AUK website, and they're all a bit inaccessible. I've put Rowlands RAAAmble into my diary though. I'd have to drive to the start though, as anything extra on top of that route would probably kill me. That would mean finding parking and all that hassle. So probs not.

Most likely my next will be next year's Great Escape.

Just had a peek at the AUK website, and they're all a bit inaccessible. I've put Rowlands RAAAmble into my diary though. I'd have to drive to the start though, as anything extra on top of that route would probably kill me. That would mean finding parking and all that hassle. So probs not.

Most likely my next will be next year's Great Escape.

That looks like a good ride. And about 10km from home. Pity I hate climbing :sad:

LOL is a nice ride in September, if you are looking for a London-ish 200, with plenty of parking. http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-600/

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That looks like a good ride. And about 10km from home. Pity I hate climbing :sad:

LOL is a nice ride in September, if you are looking for a London-ish 200, with plenty of parking. http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-600/
Yes, there seem to be lots starting in Ruislip, but I'd have to drive, I've looked into the train times and they are difficult. And even though you tell me there's lots of parking I would obsess and stress over it endlessly - because that's what I do when I have to drive and park up. And spend the whole day worrying that I'd lost my car keys. So I think just going for a ride from home would be best.

Yes, there seem to be lots starting in Ruislip, but I'd have to drive, I've looked into the train times and they are difficult. And even though you tell me there's lots of parking I would obsess and stress over it endlessly - because that's what I do when I have to drive and park up. And spend the whole day worrying that I'd lost my car keys. So I think just going for a ride from home would be best.
Yeah, probably best. I didn't actually drive to it, so I may be wrong about the parking.

Aside: riding this last year was "interesting". The day after I decided to qualify for PBP I broke my clavicle, then there was a family bereavement. So I lined up for this ride jet-lagged after 8 weeks off the bike, and rode 20km to the start. It won't surprise you to hear that I ended up bonking and throwing up by the road 3/4 of the way around. A kindly audaxer, whose name I've forgotten, stayed with me to the end of the ride (so we both finished out of time) and then drove me home. I'm not sure if I want to attempt it again or not.

3 Coasts 600 this coming weekend (if my youngest stays out of hospital) and thinking I might just do it fixed, not sure yet as my longest distance so far on fixed is 300 km also it would complete this years Super Randonneur so would I be better off playing it safe and riding geared ? I do have "a pair of Kirtons" perm as a back up though so all would not be lost if fixed was to much of a challenge.

Paul

Noru

Really enjoyed my first audax! ^_^

Suddenly got very busy so I'm going to have to wait till October for my next one! The 100km Season of Mists (Mytholmroyd) has caught my eye for October 9th.

One question July 31st's 100km 'AUK Life Biggins at Forty' hasn't appeared on my 'my results' page on the AUK website yet. How long do they normally take to appear?
Slightly concerned I wrote down the wrong name for the first info control as I forgot to take a pen & tried to remember at the finish.

AlanW

Guru
Teddy Bears' Picnic, Sat 9th July. Did it last year. Starts near Tewkesbury , climbs up into the Forest of Dean, down to the Weston's Cider Mill at Much Marcle and back to Tewkesbury. A relaxed 103km ride with some great views. Anyone else who is doing it .... you are in for a treat.

Yes, I rode it this year and last year as well, one of my most favourite audax routes. Then a couple of weeks ago it was the reverse of that called "Mint Stalwarts Mania". Although I got the balance slightly wrong as I rode to and from the start of the Mint Stalwarts Mania event, which turned out to be further than the distance of the actual audax....doh!

YahudaMoon

Über Member
One question July 31st's 100km 'AUK Life Biggins at Forty' hasn't appeared on my 'my results' page on the AUK website yet. How long do they normally take to appear?

Depends on the organizer, some don't update there events till the end of the season in October where other organizers update the events the same day

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Yes, I rode it this year and last year as well, one of my most favourite audax routes. Then a couple of weeks ago it was the reverse of that called "Mint Stalwarts Mania". Although I got the balance slightly wrong as I rode to and from the start of the Mint Stalwarts Mania event, which turned out to be further than the distance of the actual audax....doh!
I did that one too. Our paths must have crossed at some time.

Top Bottom