What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the Mad March. I haven't yet decided not to.
Maybe see you at the start, Ian. Need to collect my brevet card!

jiberjaber

Veteran
Quite a few reports of the Easter Arrow being a tough one.

I submitted my very first DIY 200 on Easter Sunday. Hopefully I’ve done everything correctly. Gulp. Or that’ll be a waste of a 212km swim around Somerset.

I think about 28 teams started, 3 Thursday night (of which we were one), leaving 25 Friday starts, I think I saw about 10 teams on Saturday morning at the 'spoons... quite a high attrition rate!

busdennis

Veteran
still planing to ride @ColinJ, what's the parking like at Mytholmroyd? last time i rode we started in Hebdon due to the floods

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
still planing to ride @ColinJ, what's the parking like at Mytholmroyd? last time i rode we started in Hebdon due to the floods
There is a big car park at event HQ. I don't think it ever fills up, but it might be better to arrive sooner rather than later. I think parking is either free or contributions to an honesty box towards upkeep of the centre. If you needed to, I don't think there would be any problem parking on Caldene Avenue or the nearby B6138.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Can someone explain Arrows to me?

It seems to me like a DIY that is constrained to end at a particular location (York, in this case). But it seems to have lots of seemingly random extra rules.

"At least 360km but you should plan more" ... "During the 22nd hour and at the end of the 24th hour the exact time and location of the team must be noted" ... "A minimum of 25km must be ridden between the 22nd hour control point and the finish."

It's just idle curiosity, I have no interest in doing one. I expect there's some reasoning behind those rules, but I can't see it. What happens if you get to York early? Are you disqualified? Do you have to ride in circles until the time is up? "During the 22nd hour" is a bit vague, isn't it?

A minimum of 360km needs to be ridden to validate the Arrow. At some point between hour 22 & 23 you need to get a proof of passage and be at least 25km from the end of your ride (eg if you were aiming for 360km, then 360-25 = 335km).
The ride is an arrow heading in the direction of York, so you could finish at a village outside York that is on the way to York from where you started.
If you get to York early then you just hang around till just before the 24th Hour. (I think my receipt from Friday was 17:55 for an 18:00 start).
Other way of looking at it is if you get to York early, then you could have ridden further! :smile:
Last 2 Arrows I have been on we have had to do a TT effort at some point to get back on schedule, but we were over distance (436 last year and 423 this year)

jiberjaber

Veteran
Thanks. I think it's dawning on me.

The plan is to challenge yourself so that you ride pretty much as far as you can in 24 hours, and at least 360k. If you arrive early you haven't challenged yourself enough, can't ride any further (as you've run out of route) and can't get it validated (because you won't do 25k in the last 2 hours). All the incomprehensible rules are to prevent people from riding within their limits, doing "just" 360k, and arriving and having a sit down afterwards, or arriving in a nearby village, and sitting down in a cafe having a rest for a couple of hours and then finishing.

It's of no interest to me in any practical sense - I just found the rules baffling. Normally with complex rules, like offside in football and rugby or LBW in cricket, there is an underlying motivation behind the complexity. These just seemed to be complex for the sake of it. But maybe I can see the reasoning now. Perhaps ... ;)

If you are points chasing then there is motivation to try and get at least 4 points (400km) out of it... Our route was 403km minimum distance, but by the time you have routed it, it is always over that by some (in our case a whole 20km or about 1 hour of riding)... There was a plan to have a relaxing 30 mins stop for our 22/23hr control... given we had to average just under 25kph over 70km to get there, so this turned into a 10 mins supermarket smash and grab but that then left a more leisurely minimum 20kph ride over the last 30ish km in to York.

One of these days we will get the fabled relaxed version of the ride which still allows for 4 points! LOL

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The plan is to challenge yourself so that you ride pretty much as far as you can in 24 hours, and at least 360k.

Yes, it's quite a simple idea in essence. It's just the rules that make it complicated...

Presumably the 360km stipulation is to ensure you meet the usual minimum speed requirement of 15kmh for the 24hr period of the ride. Although the 22hr/25km thing implies a minimum speed for the final 25km of 12.5kmh.

I expect there are good reasons for all the rules but I've never taken enough interest in arrows to give them much thought. Thinking about it, though, it's more or less exactly 400km from home in Kent to York, so that would be a good reason to do it. I know a few local riders who might be up for it too. Hmmm....

Top Bottom