What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've already ridden my next one*. It's the Valley of the Rocks 200 this Saturday**.

*Organiser's check ride.
**Sorry, it's full.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
**Sorry, it's full.

:laugh: :dance:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Mindful of the fact that I've got a BIG ride coming up at the end of the month, I ought to do some long rides by way of a warm-up - so far this year, I've only done one 200 and nothing longer... Unfortunately, life has got in the way of doing other calendar events I fancied (eg can't do the Green & Yellow Fields 300 which starts tonight) so instead I've cobbled together a 300km route for a DIY starting from home which I shall be undertaking this weekend.

I reckon it looks like a nice route on paper - starts in Whitstable from where it heads over the Downs via Lenham towards Tonbridge, then skirts round the edge of the Weald to Lingfield. From there, it follows the L2B route through Turners Hill and Ditchling to Brighton. Then it's along the south coast through Seaford, Eastbourne, Pevensey, Bexhill and Hastings to Rye. Detour to Lydd to add a few miles to make up the distance en route to Hythe, along the coast to Folkestone, then back across country to Whitstable.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25802887

I've never done a solo ride longer than 200km before, so it will be something of a Test of Character.

If it works out OK, I'm thinking of putting it on as a calendar ride for PBP qualification next year (most likely as an X-rated event).

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Looks a great route that @smutchin
Liking the Fairlight climb :ohmy:

The bit along the south coast from Pevensey to Rye, including that climb, is the same as on my 200. Overall elevation isn't that much for a 300, but there's the flat bit across Romney Marsh that brings the average down and certain stretches are quite 'scenic'.

I trust you'll sign up if I do put it on as a calendar ride next year!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The bit along the south coast from Pevensey to Rye, including that climb, is the same as on my 200. Overall elevation isn't that much for a 300, but there's the flat bit across Romney Marsh that brings the average down and certain stretches are quite 'scenic'.

I trust you'll sign up if I do put it on as a calendar ride next year!

Dependent on my diary, I don't see why not :okay:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I can vouch for the niceness of all of that except for the bit between Brighton and Eastbourne, which has never appealed to me due to it being mainly A road.

It was truly horrible today. Rammed with cars, with bottlenecks at Friston Pond and Beachy Head because of people queuing to turn.

I suspect it was especially bad because it was a sunny bank holiday weekend but also the road is probably a lot busier than I remember it - it’s a good few years since I rode along it. Might have to rethink that bit.

To make matters worse, there was a strong headwind all the way along the south coast, so I was reduced to a crawl at times - not good when you’ve got a stream of impatient motorists trying to get past.

I had intended to set off by 3am - a) to beat the traffic, b) to beat the heat, c) to get home by a reasonable time, but it was nearly 5am by the time I got going, and by the time I reached Brighton it was really unpleasantly hot and busy.

By the time I got to Hastings, it was looking unlikely that I’d get home before 11, and the prospect of a headwind across Romney Marsh did not appeal, so I bailed out and got the train home.

First bit if the ride was lovely though - I love that road through Penshurst, much nicer than the Chidfingstone way, if somewhat more undulating.

I managed to get up Ditchling Beacon without stopping or having a stroke, so that was a positive too.

Last edited:

PpPete

Legendary Member
My next one will be one I don't ride.
Helping at King's YH next weekend on the BCM 600km. I've ridden it six years in a row now so it was time to 'give something back'

Have to give some thought to a 600 though. Would be a shame not to complete the SR this year, now I've done 200/300/400.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My 3rd DIY 200 on Saturday. A new figure of 8 route I have created on Cycle.Travel (Home, Gillingham, Glastonbury, Bridgewater, Glastonbury, Wells, Home)

Slowly getting the hang of mandatory routes. This one is quite lumpy and I have left the last yomp up from the Somerset levels, up through Wells and home near Bath as a test on my legs.

I’ll also will be trying out a cheap set of aero bars (comfort not speed) and a set of new bib shorts. What could possibly go wrong?

Top Bottom