What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've got a BIG ride coming up at the end of the month, I ought to do some long rides by way of a warm-up
my Old Roads 300
I'm riding Ian's 300 (AAA3) next Saturday (ie 8 days time - still a few places left btw) in preparation for the same 'BIG' ride in Scotland as @smutchin at the end of the month. 14 hours round the '300' should be the sort of speed to get me to Campbeltown (317km) for a June breakfast.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Leaving (Devon) shortly for "the 'BIG' ride in Scotland": a 1004km audax starting (at 8pm Thursday) from Edinburgh with controls at Comrie, Campbeltown, Oban, Kinlochleven, Lochailort, Oban, Perth and Dunblane, finishing in Monty's Bar, Edinburgh by, at the latest, 11pm Sunday. There are about 90 riders entered and we'll be riding through the first night. I'm stopping and sleeping at Oban YH, like many of the riders.
Thursday night & Friday: from the start to Oban 456km
Saturday : Oban – Ardnamurchan - Oban 282km
Sunday : Oban – Edinburgh 267k
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/oban

iZaP

Über Member
Lordy. I've done it twice and there were a lot of riders but 400???

I've done it last time, and there must have been at least few hundred at the start me thinks...

This years email mentioned there will be wrist bands for the control points! :wacko:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It's my 'Back to the Smoke 400 (Exeter-London)'. Except I test-rode it this weekend. It was a bit warm.

For some reason, I'd got it in my head that is was the same weekend as the Scottish ride, which is why I didn't enter. But then it's just as well I didn't as I've got to pick up my son from uni next Saturday. Nuts. Maybe next time...

Currently in a hotel in Edinburgh having just completed aforementioned Scottish ride. Which was truly splendid. Did you enjoy it, @Ajax Bay?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Next Saturday (and Sunday)'s "Wander Wye".
611km cycling event starting from Raynes Park (SW London). Controls at Watlington, Stow-on-the-Wold, Worcester, Hay-on-Wye, Chepstow, Pewsey and Hindhead, plus 3 information controls (Woofferton, Bwlch, Lower Farringdon)
65b.jpg

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27548967

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Next Saturday (and Sunday)'s "Wander Wye".

Looks like a super route. I'll put that on the list for next year - was thinking of having another go at the Beast From The East but if I have to choose, I'll go for the one I haven't done before.

I've just put in my entry for the Fairies 300, starting from Bethersden on 1st July. I've done it a couple of times before but not for a few years. It's one that I can easily ride to from home (about 36km) - and maybe back again afterwards if I feel like it, or get the train. Nice route with an easy overnight section looping back round to the start for breakfast, and a run down to Dungeness on the second leg.

I've also entered the Fenland Friends 600 in September. That will complete my SR for this year (I only need a 400 for that but there aren't any 400s left in the calendar that I can do and I don't fancy a 400 perm/DIY). Might do that one on fixed - never done a 600 on fixed before but that will be a good candidate for a first go.

Aside from that, I'll have to do some route-checking rides for my events, which are on the first weekend in September (https://thanetaudax.wordpress.com/), and I'll probably also do the Fairies Crown & Anchor 200 in October, but that's likely to be my lot for this year.

Top Bottom