What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Anyone riding man of kent this Sunday?

See you there :okay:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Anyone doing the Saracen Spring Century (Droitwich-Evesham-Stratford-Droitwich) on Sunday? I've noticed that the first control point is by the Hampton Ferry on the riverbank near Evesham. Could be muddy (or under water even?). Looking forward to doing a bit of Warwickshire cycling. Every time I head out that way in the car, I get spooked by all the big fast roads, roundabouts, motorway link roads etc and the fact that you never see any cyclists. Sometimes the best way to spread your wings is to let Audax UK find you a nice quiet route to follow. Hopefully I'll then be able to spread out into Warwickshire a bit more in future.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Anyone doing the Saracen Spring Century (Droitwich-Evesham-Stratford-Droitwich) on Sunday? I've noticed that the first control point is by the Hampton Ferry on the riverbank near Evesham. Could be muddy (or under water even?). Looking forward to doing a bit of Warwickshire cycling. Every time I head out that way in the car, I get spooked by all the big fast roads, roundabouts, motorway link roads etc and the fact that you never see any cyclists. Sometimes the best way to spread your wings is to let Audax UK find you a nice quiet route to follow. Hopefully I'll then be able to spread out into Warwickshire a bit more in future.
There is some lovely rural countryside in the area this ride passes through, and it's picked out some of my favourite roads. This is on the route - Coughton Ford on the river Arrow, south of Redditch, seen on a ride last month:

Coughton.JPG

Impassable to most motor vehicles that day, but no inconvenience at all to cyclists provided the road leading up to it is above water. Good luck!

The one thing about the route which surprises me is that it takes the Salt Way (B4090) all the way from Alcester to the finish in Droitwich. It's quite pretty, but it's a fast B-road and you'll have lorries passing at 60mph. There are other ways both to the north and the south, but maybe they would've needed brain-teaser controls to stop people just using the main road anyway.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
There is some lovely rural countryside in the area this ride passes through, and it's picked out some of my favourite roads. This is on the route - Coughton Ford on the river Arrow, south of Redditch, seen on a ride last month:

View attachment 403275

Impassable to most motor vehicles that day, but no inconvenience at all to cyclists provided the road leading up to it is above water. Good luck!

The one thing about the route which surprises me is that it takes the Salt Way (B4090) all the way from Alcester to the finish in Droitwich. It's quite pretty, but it's a fast B-road and you'll have lorries passing at 60mph. There are other ways both to the north and the south, but maybe they would've needed brain-teaser controls to stop people just using the main road anyway.
Oooh! Looking forward to that. I'll send Rich through first to find out how deep it is. Then probably just stick to the bridge.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I stuck two points in a map corresponding roughly to my home and York and it told me it was 359km! Hmm

But no, it's not my kind of thing. I'm not a team person and they don't allow solos. If I was to do something like that, I'd go to Driffield, not York as I have family there.

In which case look at darts, there is a summer one to York, that happens in June.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Key thing about the Arrows are that they are a team challenge. The challenge is to get the team to York. So the dynamic is a bit different to your typical audax. I really like that aspect. Easter moves around and you are never quite sure what weather you are going to get.

The rules seem complex but in essence are simple.

Form a team with a captain.
The captain does the planning and handles the paperwork
Paperwork is a signed entry form from each team member, plus a team entry forms listing controls, team members, and outline schedule
Plan a route where the min distance is at least 360km.
Submit paperwork to Arrow organiser via email or snail mail
Ride your route, each team member collecting a receipt at chosen controls.
You need to get a receipt between 21-22 hours into your ride.
Ride at least 25km after 22nd hour control
Arrive York get final receipt.
Captain collects brevet cards and receipts, ensures nothing missing, and sends off to Arrow organiser to get validated.

There is other stuff related to if you cannot get to York / final control in 24 hours. That covers under / over distance compared to what you planned. Plus the size of teams etc. But the essence is above.

I find them great fun, even though our team was out of time this year, and the weather was meh. It is the team side that makes it a bit different rather than just
another audax.

You might surprise yourself if you tried it, with the right kind of team members. The right sort being a mix of temperament, matching fitness, and a willingness to ride and help each other as a team, not individually.

Last edited:

iZaP

Über Member
Signed up for Brevet Cymru, I heard it is a good one!

Top Bottom