What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
How do clubs and audax points work?

I was chatting to a chap on a ride recently who suggested I join his club. They're quite local to me and he said that the club's audax person was always keen for riders who could get audax points for the club. I'm still pondering the idea.

How does that work? I assume I'd need to be an AUK member to get points and would need to join the club and declare that club when I join AUK? Then if I did an audax the club's total points would go up.

Joining a club might be interesting. Club rides tend to be too fast or too short (or both) for me, but I was thinking I could join some fast (by my standards) rides, hang on desperately then bail out when they get to their cafe stop and carry on for a longer solo ride.

I guess every club could be different but you do need to be a member of AUK. In my case, belonging to Audax Club Bristol entails no further fees. Your ‘payment’ is from your points and volunteering to help at controls. All the members’ points are collected and sent to AUK who in turn send them off to Paris.

I’m really pleased I joined ACB, but I’m sure most Audax clubs are very friendly.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You don't need to be a member of a club to choose it as your club for AUK point scoring purposes.

I think it's the top six riders from each club who count towards the points competition but you have to rack up a lot of miles to be in with a chance of winning the title. Probably not worth bothering, tbh, unless your club is ACB or VC167.

Redlight

Right, booked in for the Man Of Kent 200 18th March.
Have done the ride in previous years and it's a goody.
Anyone else doing it?

Planning to be there. It's one of my favourites. Only glitch is that my son is heading off on a school trip and I have to deliver him to the pick up point at 4am, so I may be a little jaded later in the day. I'll certainly be going for a full day out!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well my next audax was going to be the Mad March - A river too far, this Sunday. Unfortunately the Met Office have issued a 'Yellow' weather warning for that day and various forecast 'channels' suggest light snow falling from dawn till dusk, and a few inches over Exmoor (over 1000 feet up) and the Quantocks, nicely crisped up by an average minus 2 (0001-2359 Sunday) and a north easterly to make sure any 'wet' isn't liquid.
The organiser has said:
"A yellow weather warning has been issued for Sunday. The ride is not cancelled and if you choose to ride you will be riding at your own risk. However, I fully understand if you do not wish to ride in these conditions. According to the Audax UK regulations it is possible in extreme weather for riders to complete the ride up to 30 days after the event.
If you choose to do this you must:
Collect your brevet card at the start as usual - between 7:30 and 9:00 am this Sunday.
Ride around the route sometime in the next 30 days.
Collect a receipt from a shop or cashpoint from each of the control towns that clearly states the name of the town, the date and time. Some of the pubs I was using as controls may well sign / stamp your control.
Post the card to me afterwards.
I will validate it and return it to you.
The control towns are as follows:
200k: Cranbrook, Winkleigh, North Molton, Holford, Culmstock, Cranbrook. The ride must be completed in 14 hours"

So think my next audax is the Dorset Coast (25th), from Wareham.

PpPete

Legendary Member
You don't need to be a member of a club to choose it as your club for AUK point scoring purposes.
I think it's the top six riders from each club who count towards the points competition but you have to rack up a lot of miles to be in with a chance of winning the title. Probably not worth bothering, tbh, unless your club is ACB or VC167.
The guy I was chatting to was very excited that the club was 17th in some league or other.
But if only the top riders count then my odd 200 here and 200 there won't be any use to anyone.

Still worth doing - it's the points of the top six riders that count when it comes to deciding which is the "winning" club - and yes ACB or VC167 often take that, (see http://www.aukweb.net/results/fame/clubs/) and detemine the placings in the league table (e.g. http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/clubs/) but the total number of points - and who collected them for the club - still gets a mention.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yes, it goes against the (audax) grain to not start / fail to complete a ride one had planned, but very occasionally, discretion is the better part of valour. The Saturday warning covering the first and last hours of The Dean do not look good, even discounting the Type X fun of a freezing ride all day.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I know a few people have already ruled themselves out of starting the Man of Kent 200 on Sunday. I'm not making a decision just yet.

Kind of looking forward to the prospect of a 40mph tailwind across Romney Marsh, tbh. ^_^

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I know a few people have already ruled themselves out of starting the Man of Kent 200 on Sunday. I'm not making a decision just yet.

Kind of looking forward to the prospect of a 40mph tailwind across Romney Marsh, tbh. ^_^

Same as me.... will wait for Dave's email and make a decision then.

PpPete

Legendary Member
It's weather like this that makes entries on the line rather useful.
A few years ago I had an entry on the Dean, but the forecast was, if anything, worse than it was for tomorrow.
As it turned out, only I think three people started, contrary to organiser's advice, and just one finished !
Meanwhile I got an EOL on a more local 200km and although there was some sleet, I had a fine day out.

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Well not my 'next' (see above, and then the Dorsat Coast) but see you there (8pm start and 456km to Oban to sleep). Two weeks till the cheap tickets north for Thursday 31 May come on sale - hopefully a few hours kip that afternoon on the train to get me into 'sleep credit'.
Haven't decided on travel yet, will probably drive due to the hassle of getting a bike from Stornoway to Edinburgh. I'm still doubtful about whether I'll be there on the day - my work situation is not good and is affecting me mentally. Still trying to get the miles in tho' so that I'll be ready if I decide yes.

Top Bottom