What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That was the plan, I've dragged the Rogers diff drive trike out from the back of the garage for now and see what happens with the insurance .

I'm hoping it's just a case of dealing with the insurance company as apart from bruised possibly cracked ribs (I'm not spending all day in A&E to find out) I have no other injury's but I will resort to a solicitor if I have to .

I'm hoping it's just a case of dealing with the insurance company as apart from bruised possibly cracked ribs (I'm not spending all day in A&E to find out) I have no other injury's but I will resort to a solicitor if I have to .
You will almost certainly get less money if you don't use an experienced solicitor.
(Plus they'll deal with most of the paperwork for you.)
Broken bones will probably pay out more than "bruised", so pick a quiet time and it might be worth making that visit. #notaLawyer but I have been through similar.

(Still can't believe your saddle was knocked off, but you didn't suffer much more than broken ribs!!! )

dhd.evans1

Brace yourself, advice incoming (and this is my opinion):

From two experiences of my own engaging a personal injury solicitor may feel like ambulance chasing but in the end it is in you and your bike's best interest.

Crash 1: Separated shoulder, associated bruising and pain. Driver admits fault. Bike frame knackered. Personal injury solicitor contacted. Case resolved within a few months, bike replaced and compensation for injuries, all i had to to do was provide a few statements to my solicitor.

Crash 2: Ate a car boot at speed. Driver denies fault. Bike absolutely destroyed. My face, even more so (lost a chunk of my lower jaw, most of my top and bottom front teeth, a quarter of my tongue and split my face open from chin to nose in several places). Unfortunately i spent too many months high as a kite whilst these injuries were repaired and did not have a clear enough head to think about personal injury solicitor. In the end when i presented the case too much time had passed and they would not take me on. The NHS both medical and dental put me back together at no cost. Unfortunately i had to purchase a new bike. £800+ out of pocket.

Moral of the story? Even if you feel dirty doing it, take the opportunity to engage legal proceedings.

I have no problem engaging legal proceedings but my injury's are minor in my opinion and would hardly warrant a solicitors time and if I have no joy with the insurance company I would have to resort to the small claims court (not likely as the Police are prosecuting the driver) which would be a pain, I have no illusions about walking away with a brand new Trykit trike (£4,000+) to replace my 33 year old Longstaff I'm just hoping to recover it's current second hand value towards another trike.

dhd.evans1

Were your bottles OK?
Lost to the gutter.... i was gutted!

dhd.evans1

I have no problem engaging legal proceedings but my injury's are minor in my opinion and would hardly warrant a solicitors time and if I have no joy with the insurance company I would have to resort to the small claims court (not likely as the Police are prosecuting the driver) which would be a pain, I have no illusions about walking away with a brand new Trykit trike (£4,000+) to replace my 33 year old Longstaff I'm just hoping to recover it's current second hand value towards another trike.
Absolutely - not sure if personal injury lawyers do kit as well. At any rate get well soon and hope to see you back on the bike soon!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Hopefully doing the Sunrise Audax on Saturday, child care permitting.

If I ride there and back, then it's a total of over 100 miles, which means I can do the Rutland one in early April (200k) which starts just down the road from my Mum's, which sorts out child care issues. But without the one on Saturday, I don't think I can commit to it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's a distinct lack of Audax in the SE/kent region at the moment.
That's very true. I just went and had a look.

In April there is:
Man of Kent 200 - which I've always fancied but getting to Tonbridge that early on a Sunday would mean I'd have to drive. And I prefer Saturdays anyway

Oasts and Coasts 300. I'm not up for a 300, and anyway it clashes with my wife's birthday.

Then in May there's Fast times in the High Weald. 200km from Crystal Palace. That sounds like my cup of tea! Ticks all my boxes..
On a Saturday :smile:
Local to me :smile:
Event closed :sad: Bugger.
https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9627

In June there's Greenwich Mean Climb 300. Looks similar to The Shark, a 200 that was on my to-do list, but it's 300 which over that terrain would be beyond me.

July there's The Way to the Sea. 200 from Greenwich out to Grain and Sheppey. I like the look of that. Sod's law says it'll clash with something else and I won't be able to do it.

And that's about it. No Ditchling Devil :sad:

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Dogtrousers - I can see it being a similar issue everywhere. I may be worth contacting the organiser to go on a waiting list as many people, including me, will have entered several well ahead. And then may cancel.

I'm down to ride:

Mere 200 - this Sunday 27th
Plains 300 - 16 April
Not Quite the Spurn Head 400 - 14 May
Llanfair 400 - 28 May
Everybody Rides to Skeggy 300 - 11 June
Rutland and Back 200 (postponed from 2020) - 2 July - which I'm probably not doing and will give notice
Kirtons 600 - 2 July
East & West Coasts 600 - 9 July

The plan is to ride all of those, but it may not happen due to a range of aspects; i.e. my son's got a race in Austria 7-9 July and I may have to get him there. Plains 300 also has a clash that I need to sort out. For any I can't do I'll at least give notice for any reserves to ride.

Top Bottom