What's your tenuous claim to fame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
My brother in law went to school with the tall black tashed bass player in frankie goes to hollywood,barry sheen brushed passed me in the paddock,just before i got asked to get out,and chatted to jeanie i think her name is,in the heartbeat series,when i was helping her mother in law in hospital,a long time ago.

I spent the last week here in Cambodia with a very nice Dutch lady (purely platonic :laugh:), and she bore a very close resemblance to Julia Roberts, and my good self looks quite similar to Bruce Willis; a lot of the locals, and even a fair few westerners thought we were them! xx(:tongue:

Dayvo said:
I spent the last week here in Cambodia with a very nice Dutch lady (purely platonic :laugh:), and she bore a very close resemblance to Julia Roberts, and my good self looks quite similar to Bruce Willis; a lot of the locals, and even a fair few westerners thought we were them! xx(:tongue:

I think the sun is deffo getting to you Dayvo...:biggrin::becool:

mondobongo

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I did a live session on Radio ones Friday night rock show with Tommy Vance

Paul Di Anno once bought me a beer at the Royal Standard in Walthamstow just because I was standing next to him

Much respect especially for the Dianno bought me a pint at The Royal Standard of all places.

In the early eighties my Dad ran the Locarno in Birmingham they were branching out into doing gigs and had The Damned playing he wouldn't sneak me in I was about 13 at the time but does love to tell me the story of how he spent all afternoon chasing Vanian et all out of the kitchen as they tried to nick tea and toast.

Met all of Type O Negative in Wolves a few years back, my copy of Bloody Kisses has the dedication annotated to me and signed by Pete Steele.

Was on the guest list for U2 at the Royal Court Liverpool on the War tour prior to them going stratosphehric.

wafflycat

Saw John Le Mesurier on a tube station platform when I was a kid. My niece gave Princess Di a bouquet. My cousin (whom I've never met) is Isla St.Clair of folk singing & Generation Game fame. Friend of a friend met Pricess Di. Apparently Cliff Richard's auntie lives nearby (but I've never met her) and the village station (now long gone) was used as a set in Dad's Army. Air Force One flew over my back garden one day, so I waved, but I don't know if The Pres. waved back. Met David Harmon. Met Jens Voight, Bjarne Riis, David Zabriskie and pretty much the rest of the CSC squad at a Tour de France stage start (and a lovely bunch they were too). My son has Carlos Sastre's drink bottle from the end of a TdF stage, given to him by Carlos (it still had a bit of recovery drink in it). My son got mistaken for a member of Team CSC by a couple of young French lads at the end of a TdF stage (well he was in CSC kit and riding a Cervelo Soloist at the time). I got overtaken by Robbie McEwan whilst cycling along a road in Rennes, at the end of a TdF stage. I saw a young Prince William at the Safeway garage forecourt in a Norfolk market town. One of the locals who attends the same coffee morning as I was an extra in the film "Amazing Grace". Leon Brittan slimed his way past me at Newcastle train station to push his way on to the train before we plebs got a chance to get on said train.

So there. Bring on the Z-list celebrity status! Now, who has Max Clifford's phone number so I can do a deal on fame xx(:laugh::tongue:

simonali

Guru
I once sat opposite Rolf Harris on a choo-choo and he poked his tongue out at me coz I kept looking at him trying to work out whether it was actually him or not.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch once offered to knit me a Dalek?
My dad reckons that my uncle was in the same cycling club as Tom Simpson when they were about 13. Tom went out (briefly) with my aunt around the same time.
So in a parallel universe, my uncle Tom is the only English winner of the Tour. Does it get more tenuous than that?:laugh:

My uncle went to college with Pete Waterman.
My dad lived in a uni houseshare with Neil Hamilton.
Mr Morrisette used to play snooker at the same club as Mark Williams, and has lost several games to him.
I have stood behind Rory McGrath in the queue at Cambridge train station.
I have been on Korean TV dancing in a sort of 'everyone-join-in' folk dance type affair.

Tenuous? Oh yes.

rob_mcp

I have bought a house from a) Danny Wilson (ex manager barnsley, sheff wed etc,etc) and :laugh: Andy Nye (keyboard player for a number of bands including the scorpions). Only time I met Danny he was washing the kitchen floor - Andy was a really nice guy (if a little disorganised) and surprisingly not deaf!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've been on a whole episode of Chucklevision.....
My cycling club and I were in 'cycle crazy' episode in series 3 where the two brothers were in a bike race.... we were the zother cyclists' We were conned into doing the show by our club secretary. He said that the BBC wanter to film some cyclists so we all turned up at the set in Disley to find out it was bloody Chucklevision..... this was before the show hit cult status..... The BBC don't have that series on video and it would cost me about 150 to get a copy made from them....

simonali

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Arch once offered to knit me a Dalek?
My dad reckons that my uncle was in the same cycling club as Tom Simpson when they were about 13. Tom went out (briefly) with my aunt around the same time.
So in a parallel universe, my uncle Tom is the only English winner of the Tour. Does it get more tenuous than that?:laugh:

It'd have to be a parallel universe coz Tommy never won the Tour! (I am making the assumption that it is the TdF that you refer to)

Smeggers

I gave a Alex Higgins a light for his cigarette once.

Funnily enough Curly from Coronation Street was doing a gig in the same place.

Edit: Oh and Gary Glitters cousin was a dinner lady in our primary school (so the rumour went!)

Top Bottom