Wheel upgrade Giant defy 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you need to upgrade? What are you trying to achieve? What's your budget?

Have you improved the tyres, probably get more benefit for a fraction of the price

RegG

Über Member
I replaced the wheels on my 2015 Defy 0 with a set of these....

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Vittoria-Se...gle_shopping&gclid=CL7a3sDctNECFRXjGwodtkgKhg

just over a year ago. They were recommended by my LBS although I found them on line for around £110 the pair - I got a bargain as they are a lot more at the moment. They made a noticeable difference in that they roll much easier than the stock wheels and they are lighter. The bike also felt 'quicker' and my Strava times were improved! Very pleased with the upgrade. My stepson fitted some Mavic Kysrium Elites to his Defy and they made a big difference.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Personally I would ride them until they need replacing then look at Kysriums.
Having said that when my stock wheels on my daily rider/commuter needed replacing I went for Shimano's entry level R501 (around £70-80/pair from Ribble). They have now covered over 5000 miles and have been surprisingly good.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Just wanting to improve my bike performance .
Isn't it more about improving your own performance? The bike is just a part of it :smile:

What's your budget? Did Tredz suggest anything?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
That's enough of a reason in my book! His money his choice.
I wouldn't know what to suggest as an upgrade, depends what you want to do - carbon, carbon/alloy, tubeless, tubular, racing or leisure or commuting, and how heavy you are - number of spokes.
I went for a semi aero 30mm alloy low spoke count very light Superstar wheelset for £150 and I'm very happy with them for summer use. I ride with some very capable riders and wanted to make my bike as light as it could be to remain in an equal footing machinery wise without breaking the bank! Just don't expect huge improvements in performance, it's marginal gains only.
I use Shimano R501's for winter.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Isn't it more about improving your own performance? The bike is just a part of it :smile:

What's your budget? Did Tredz suggest anything?
If it was all about "improving your own performance" then why not ride one of these
IMG_0287.JPG

Who's to say where ones particular "baseline" is? ^_^

S-Express

Best way to do that is to improve the performance of the person riding it. If you want new wheels for purely existential or gratuitous purposes, then just set yourself a budget and pick the wheelset within that price range that looks the nicest. But if you are looking for some sort of performance improvement, you may end up disappointed. Worth having a think about your riding and your current fitness before committing further.

In my opinion, obviously. Let the moral outrage commence..

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
If the OP can get some lighter wheels, that roll better than the stock wheels then why the hell not.

I would recommend some Mavic Askiums or some Fulcrum Racing 5's would be perfect.

Top Bottom