Wheel upgrade Giant defy 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
... I'm not aware of any performance differences between the two...
So, just to confirm, you are claiming that you know for a fact there is no chance at all of any single cup and cone design bearing being inherently faster or slower that any cartridge design bearing. In the world. Ever?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
So why don't we (and all the race teams) all forget cartridge bearings and just stick to cup and cone like the aforementioned R501's?

BMC, FDJ, Lotto-Jumbo, Orica, Sky and Sunweb all have Shimano as their wheel sponsor.

S-Express

So why don't we (and all the race teams) all forget cartridge bearings and just stick to cup and cone like the aforementioned R501's?

Good question. You need to ask all the Shimano sponsored teams, who are all still riding cup/cone on their C24/35/50 wheels. But I'm not suggesting that one type is superior - quite the opposite in fact.

S-Express

So, just to confirm, you are claiming that you know for a fact there is no chance at all of any single cup and cone design bearing being inherently faster or slower that any cartridge design bearing. In the world. Ever?

I've never really had cause to think that deeply about something so utterly unimportant, if I'm honest. Have you?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Good question. You need to ask all the Shimano sponsored teams, who are all still riding cup/cone on their C24/35/50 wheels. But I'm not suggesting that one type is superior - quite the opposite in fact.
So it seems, just been reading up on the subject, seems cheap versions of both are not great, whilst more expensive versions of both can be quite good?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Bit like cartridge bearings then.. ;)
Yes ok I concede!
Did find this though although I guess the same could be said for good quality cup and cone
IMG_1947.PNG

So to upgrade we must ask ourselves are we getting better components than what we already have, so if your not getting better quality bearings, hubs, rims etc etc then it isn't an upgrade?
So to go back to the OP are the standard Giant wheels any good?

S-Express

Yes ok I concede!

Haha - sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult, it's just banter - I think we're both agreeing anyway.

So to go back to the OP are the standard Giant wheels any good?

The never-ending question. In principle, the Giant wheels do the job of 'being wheels', so in that sense they are just fine. Different kind of wheels might be useful to the OP, depending on need. Lighter, more aero, more spokes, stronger rim, wider rim, all of that might have an impact on budget, though.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Haha - sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult, it's just banter - I think we're both agreeing anyway.

The never-ending question. In principle, the Giant wheels do the job of 'being wheels', so in that sense they are just fine. Different kind of wheels might be useful to the OP, depending on need. Lighter, more aero, more spokes, stronger rim, wider rim, all of that might have an impact on budget, though.
Lol Yes we are agreeing, I've been down this road before, pardon the pun, and got a mate who spent £600 on bullets to go 1 second faster in a 10 TT! I can see both sides though.
But if the OP wants to spend his hard earned on something- who are we to argue?

S-Express

So, let's hear you. It was important enough for you make the point, so why don't you continue to defend it?

Not sure what I'm defending? To be clear though, I don't know any cup/cone or cartridge bearing which is inherently superior to another. If there was, I suspect all manufacturers would routinely adopt it, as punters would be queueing up to buy it for those lovely, but pricey, marginal gains.

However, if you do know of such a solution, I'm sure we'd all be absolutely delighted if you could share it with us. I have my credit card ready, just in case.. :smile:

Top Bottom