Wheel upgrade Giant defy 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
What would make new wheels 'roll' better than stock wheels? Surely wheels 'roll' by definition?
My superstars and old Planet X 101/82's definitely spin for longer when suspended in the air compared to my Shimano R501's which grind to a halt in no time. Maybe that is what he means?

S-Express

My superstars and old Planet X 101/82's definitely spin for longer when suspended in the air compared to my Shimano R501's which grind to a halt in no time. Maybe that is what he means?

If that actually made a real-world difference, then it would be worth considering. My best wheels are a pair of C24s, which spin for only a handful of seconds when held up like that. Conversely, I have an old pair of PX Model Bs which will spin all day.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
What would make new wheels 'roll' better than stock wheels? Surely wheels 'roll' by definition?

If the stock wheels are cup and cone, some new wheels with sealed bearings could roll or spin faster no? yes ?

S-Express

On my 2015 Giant Defy entry model i purchased a similar set to these teamed up with some tyres. This was in 2015 so this appears to be the newer more expensive model. Even still, made it feel like a new bike. Timings compared to the old and new wheels would also suggest this was a worthwhile upgrade.

How much of that 'improvement' was down to the wheels, and how much was down to the tyres?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
No. Why would bearings of one design be inherently 'faster' than bearings of another design?
So if a wheel bearing doesn't keep spinning when rotated off the ground compared to another , doesn't this mean it has some sort of friction/binding issues which would affect its performance in some way? (Admittedly this is a hub/bearing issue rather than a "wheel" issue).

S-Express

So if a wheel bearing doesn't keep spinning when rotated off the ground compared to another , doesn't this mean it has some sort of friction/binding issues which would affect its performance in some way? (Admittedly this is a hub/bearing issue rather than a "wheel" issue).

Not when the only thing that actually matters is now that wheel performs on the road, no. Fractional differences in the rolling times of unweighted bearings has very little bearing (geddit?) on performance under load, when so many more factors come into play.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If that actually made a real-world difference, then it would be worth considering. My best wheels are a pair of C24s, which spin for only a handful of seconds when held up like that. Conversely, I have an old pair of PX Model Bs which will spin all day.
Why did you buy a pair of C24's? Surely you would have saved a shed load of cash sticking with the Planet X's. :whistle:;)

S-Express

Why did you buy a pair of C24's? Surely you would have saved a shed load of cash sticking with the Planet X's. :whistle:;)

I certainly missed a trick there - if only the outcome of races was decided by holding up your front wheel and seeing how long it spins for.. ;)

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Do you know of such a bearing which meets that description?
I don't know exactly which bearings were being compared, no; but then neither do you, that's why I put a '?' at the end, its there to sort of indicate that my contribution was a suggestion, rather than a fact. You know, a food for thought sort of thing.

S-Express

I don't know exactly which bearings were being compared, no; but then neither do you, that's why I put a '?' at the end, its there to sort of indicate that my contribution was a suggestion, rather than a fact. You know, a food for thought sort of thing.

Well in the spirit of progressive discussion - I only know of two basic bearing types which are applicable here - cup/cone and cartridge. I'm not aware of any performance differences between the two, certainly none which would affect real world road use. That's why I asked you if you knew of any others.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Well in the spirit of progressive discussion - I only know of two basic bearing types which are applicable here - cup/cone and cartridge. I'm not aware of any performance differences between the two, certainly none which would affect real world road use. That's why I asked you if you knew of any others.
So why don't we (and all the race teams) all forget cartridge bearings and just stick to cup and cone like the aforementioned R501's?

Top Bottom