when bike sales people talk rubbish.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Do you smile patiently or cut them dead with your vast knowledge?!
In Evans today to check out the tern folders - hoping to do a comparison with the brompton, but they don't keep them in store.
Anyway,young lass isnt really interested in selling us one. Took some prompting to get her to take one of the rack at all! She started well asking what we wanted it for, but went rapidly downhill by suggesting a cycle carrier. She then went on to explain we wouldn't be able to do more than a few miles, 10 -20?!oh my no! Really?! I know of people who tour extensively. " well if I rode 10 miles to work, I'd be wrecked" ah,see,you're just not a very good cyclist I thought. Mr 6 was very impressed with my self-control at this point.
But then she decided to explain just how similar bromptons and terns are. Almost identical she said, because Mr bromptons son actually designed the tern. OK, I couldn't listen any more and corrected her because terrns and dahons are almost identical for just that reason and they're nothing at all like bromptons.
Mr6 passed me my coat.

MikeW-71

Veteran
:biggrin:

It's a good game to play, and why I do like to do my own research before buying something like a bike or a car, so I know what I actually want before I even go to the shop. Then you can smile when you know they're talking rubbish, and you can tell when they're just trying to sell what's in stock.

Do you smile patiently or cut them dead with your vast knowledge?!
In Evans today to check out the tern folders - hoping to do a comparison with the brompton, but they don't keep them in store.
Anyway,young lass isnt really interested in selling us one. Took some prompting to get her to take one of the rack at all! She started well asking what we wanted it for, but went rapidly downhill by suggesting a cycle carrier. She then went on to explain we wouldn't be able to do more than a few miles, 10 -20?!oh my no! Really?! I know of people who tour extensively. " well if I rode 10 miles to work, I'd be wrecked" ah,see,you're just not a very good cyclist I thought. Mr 6 was very impressed with my self-control at this point.
But then she decided to explain just how similar bromptons and terns are. Almost identical she said, because Mr bromptons son actually designed the tern. OK, I couldn't listen any more and corrected her because terrns and dahons are almost identical for just that reason and they're nothing at all like bromptons.
Mr6 passed me my coat.

This is why I don't like Bromptons, or Brompton riders.

D

Deleted member 23692

I had a chap in a local bike shop tell me that the current Sora groupsets are better than a 2 year old Ultegra groupset... Shimano trickles their tech down that quickly.

When I I suggested that by that train of thought current Tiagra must be better then 2yr old Durace, and that current 105 must be alien technology, he quickly changed the topic of conversation

when ever i am thinking of buying something of value i always do extensive research, VERY extensive research
this way if some sales person or who ever starts talking nonsense i know the truth and either tell them so or leave
Cheers Ed
Sage advice right there:thumbsup:

I had a chap in a local bike shop tell me that the current Sora groupsets are better than a 2 year old Ultegra groupset... Shimano trickles their tech down that quickly.

When I I suggested that by that train of thought current Tiagra must be better then 2yr old Durace, and that current 105 must be alien technology, he quickly changed the topic of conversation

To be fair, they were on a slightly different planet, but some of that makes limited sense. A brand new Sora, is not a hill of beans different to a couple of year old 105.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
This is why I don't like Bromptons, or Brompton riders.
The reason I don't like Brompton riders (got nothin' against the actual bikes) is 'cos so often they try to race against me, like they have something to prove. 'I may have a silly 'bike' with miniature wheels, but that doesn't mean I can't go faster than you because appearances notwithstanding it is a real bike, really it is, see?' Yes, I do see. Now fark off out of my way....goodbye.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Gawd, they're at it everywhere though...my daughter went to the London Eye on Friday and has been asked to do a school project off the back of it...asked the tour guide for some useful information and then, when she got home, started doing a write up...her mum nearly passed out when she saw some of the 'facts.' A swift few checks here and there and it turns out you can't believe an official tour guide...either that or he'd been on the mushrooms...

The reason I don't like Brompton riders (got nothin' against the actual bikes) is 'cos so often they try to race against me, like they have something to prove. 'I may have a silly 'bike' with miniature wheels, but that doesn't mean I can't go faster than you because appearances notwithstanding it is a real bike, really it is, see?' Yes, I do see. Now fark off out of my way....goodbye.
Mmmkay, and yes you're absolutley right. That is what they do. Gotta love 'em:

Top Bottom