When there is no café stop...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I presume you can, the house I bought last year had no oven and as I only ever cooked the odd pizza I didn't bother getting one.

Theres a recipe here: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sticky-malt-loaves

That looks great! Thanks. May give That a go for ride later this week (new big top tube bag)

figbat

Slippery scientist
OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Inspired by the talk of food for rides to try something new. Baked egg "pie".
Used a large cookie cutter to get a circle of soft sliced bread. Pressed into muffin tin. Baked at 170 fan for 15-20 minutes and topped with salt, pepper and parmesan. The recipe I followed suggested adding cooked chopped bacon ( but I didn't have any in). Now to bake a malt loaf...😂
20230517_144421.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Inspired by the talk of food for rides to try something new. Baked egg "pie".
Used a large cookie cutter to get a circle of soft sliced bread. Pressed into muffin tin. Baked at 170 fan for 15-20 minutes and topped with salt, pepper and parmesan. The recipe I followed suggested adding cooked chopped bacon ( but I didn't have any in). Now to bake a malt loaf...😂
View attachment 690073

Nice, I may give it a go. But potentially messy in a saddlebag. Even worse in a jersey pocket!

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Must admit I'm lazy, just tend to take something to chew on, a snack sized Mars bar or the like. I've just got into soft bake bars from Lidl which are nice, not too sweet. I've always wanted to make my own but I tried once and ruined a baking tray so never bothered again.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Must admit I'm lazy, just tend to take something to chew on, a snack sized Mars bar or the like. I've just got into soft bake bars from Lidl which are nice, not too sweet. I've always wanted to make my own but I tried once and ruined a baking tray so never bothered again.

I just have too much time on my hands and like to experiment. Been trying different alternatives to commercially available carb/electrolyte drinks too

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a big box of energy bars that I buy from Wiggle (or somewhere). They're not bad, but the key point is they aren't particularly great either. This means I don't graze on them - they are in their box in the cupboard ready for a ride, so there are always some there when I get ready to go out for a ride. Other bars tend to just evaporate somehow. :whistle:

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

I have a big box of energy bars that I buy from Wiggle (or somewhere). They're not bad, but the key point is they aren't particularly great either. This means I don't graze on them - they are in their box in the cupboard ready for a ride, so there are always some there when I get ready to go out for a ride. Other bars tend to just evaporate somehow. :whistle:

😂 my kids eat my flapjackslike there is no tomorrow. Have to hide the ones for my ride

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I just have too much time on my hands and like to experiment. Been trying different alternatives to commercially available carb/electrolyte drinks too
Will agree on that one. I bought a kilo of maltodextrin and fructose and just add them to water with maybe a little bit of dilute cordial for flavour. I'm only halfway through and it cost me about £8 for the lot, it'll last me the rest of this year at least.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Will agree on that one. I bought a kilo of maltodextrin and fructose and just add them to water with maybe a little bit of dilute cordial for flavour. I'm only halfway through and it cost me about £8 for the lot, it'll last me the rest of this year at least.

Not thought of adding maltodextrin to drinks. I bought some to make home made gels. More eco-friendly. Why fructose instead of sucrose/dextrose?

My go to for shorter rides is 1/3 fruit juice, 2/3 water, plus added sucrose if not carrying much food

Not many cafes out here in this neck of the woods, and those tend to be quite touristy.

Default snack is a banana, a packet of crisps and one of those individually wrapped pain au chocolat things - if they don't get eaten, then back into the cupboard / fruitbowl they go. Longer rides or away days, I'll lob in a cheese sandwich, some dried fruit and some salted nuts.

Top Bottom