When there is no café stop...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Nice, I may give it a go. But potentially messy in a saddlebag. Even worse in a jersey pocket!

I had a baked egg, wrapped in foil-backed parchment paper on my latest long ride. Was testing out a top tube bag. Have to say it was delicious! Like a veggie Scotch Egg.

But now my son wants them in his packed lunch. Great savoury snack, though more protein than carbs

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had a baked egg, wrapped in foil-backed parchment paper on my latest long ride. Was testing out a top tube bag. Have to say it was delicious! Like a veggie Scotch Egg.

But now my son wants them in his packed lunch. Great savoury snack, though more protein than carbs

I like scotch eggs, but my only attempt at using them as a cycling snack ended in messy failure. I ride with a rack pack into which I squeeze my tools, spare tubes, waterproof, phone, small lock, various other bits and bobs and my lunch. So it gets a bit squishy in there.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Back to stuff to carry

On my longer rides, I tend to go for

Sandwiches, banana cake, shortbread, pork pies, scotch eggs, doughnuts, salted peanuts or crisps. I’ll usually have a packet of fruit pastels as well, in case I need a quick boost of energy. Sometimes I’ll have some cheese with me (not in a sandwich) but that’s rare.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I did a test ride this weekend to assess my luggage, bike and food strategies for an upcoming attempt on the King Alfred's Way. I intend to carry a decent amount of what I need and then in-fill with café stops and the like along the route. I had a discount code for some of those new-fangled, plant-based protein bar things that seem to be all the rage (in this case Tribe Protein Flapjacks) so I got some to test them out. I wouldn't necessarily pay full-price for them but I did find them to be a good choice - compact, quite carb and energy-dense, easy to eat and pretty tasty too. Whether I'll feel the same after 4 days straight, we'll see...

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Back to stuff to carry

On my longer rides, I tend to go for

Sandwiches, banana cake, shortbread, pork pies, scotch eggs, doughnuts, salted peanuts or crisps. I’ll usually have a packet of fruit pastels as well, in case I need a quick boost of energy. Sometimes I’ll have some cheese with me (not in a sandwich) but that’s rare.

I have multiple questions:
1. Shortbread - do you not have issues with it being so dry?
2. Doughnuts - sticky fingers?
3. Do you eat as you cycle or stop to snack?
4. Preferred make of crisp? I am assuming a robust brand...?
5. Slab of cheese? Inspired, bit of pickle with it?

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

I did a test ride this weekend to assess my luggage, bike and food strategies for an upcoming attempt on the King Alfred's Way. I intend to carry a decent amount of what I need and then in-fill with café stops and the like along the route. I had a discount code for some of those new-fangled, plant-based protein bar things that seem to be all the rage (in this case Tribe Protein Flapjacks) so I got some to test them out. I wouldn't necessarily pay full-price for them but I did find them to be a good choice - compact, quite carb and energy-dense, easy to eat and pretty tasty too. Whether I'll feel the same after 4 days straight, we'll see...

Wife told me that on long rides I should be having 1g/kg/hr. Depends how much you take in your drink but I would need stacks of bars! Hope your ride goes well and the cafés are well stocked! 😀

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

I like scotch eggs, but my only attempt at using them as a cycling snack ended in messy failure. I ride with a rack pack into which I squeeze my tools, spare tubes, waterproof, phone, small lock, various other bits and bobs and my lunch. So it gets a bit squishy in there.

Sounds like an impressive rack pack. I think ability to maintain structural integrity is a key for food eaten on the go (I don't tend to stop to eat). I can imagine losing the egg part of a scotch egg quite easily

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have multiple questions:
1. Shortbread - do you not have issues with it being so dry?
2. Doughnuts - sticky fingers?
3. Do you eat as you cycle or stop to snack?
4. Preferred make of crisp? I am assuming a robust brand...?
5. Slab of cheese? Inspired, bit of pickle with it?

1. If that’s all I had yes, but easily washes down with water
2. A little bit of sugar on fingers, but nothing I can’t lick or wash off with a damp flannel.
3. I mostly stop to eat, a bench or wall etc with a view.
4. I like frazzles, but also McCoy or monster munch or Wotsits.
5. Sometimes with some German smoked sausage. I take a small knife to cut.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Fig roll biscuits are cheap and cheerful, and I believe they are quite good from a cycling nutrition point of view.

Also handy to hand around if you are with a small group.

I once visited Sunderland AFC's Roker Park ground's dressing room before a game.

On the table for half time was several packets of Jaffa Cakes.

I accept this was at time when several of the team would have a quick gasper rather than eat anything, but presumably someone thought the Jaffa Cakes were decent nutritionally.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Fig roll biscuits are cheap and cheerful, and I believe they are quite good from a cycling nutrition point of view.

Also handy to hand around if you are with a small group.

I once visited Sunderland AFC's Roker Park ground's dressing room before a game.

On the table for half time was several packets of Jaffa Cakes.

I accept this was at time when several of the team would have a quick gasper rather than eat anything, but presumably someone thought the Jaffa Cakes were decent nutritionally.

Yes, fig rolls have got good structural integrity, but Jaffa cakes may not go well in a jersey pocket

Top Bottom