When there is no café stop...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Wife told me that on long rides I should be having 1g/kg/hr. Depends how much you take in your drink but I would need stacks of bars! Hope your ride goes well and the cafés are well stocked! 😀

I have a range of 0.5-1.0g/kg.hr of carbs - I am aiming at the lower end and supplementing with gels, energy drink and cafe/shop food. I have quite a lot of sustenance to carry though, it’s true!

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I have a range of 0.5-1.0g/kg.hr of carbs - I am aiming at the lower end and supplementing with gels, energy drink and cafe/shop food. I have quite a lot of sustenance to carry though, it’s true!

Have found this week that if I try to put too many carbs in my drink that they don't quench my thirst. Love to experiment.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

I presume you can, the house I bought last year had no oven and as I only ever cooked the odd pizza I didn't bother getting one.

Theres a recipe here: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sticky-malt-loaves

20230522_170921.jpg

My first go at homemade malt loaf. Couldn't get malt extract at the supermarket so used Horlicks instead. Tastes good so will use it for my ride tomorrow. Thanks for the link to the recipe 🥮

Last edited:
OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Being a type 1 diabetic I always carry Toffee Crisps, Kit Kats and Mars Bars incase I have a Hypo, when the sugar levels drop because I’ve been peddling.

Of course. Do you use continuous glucose monitoring or have you got good typo awareness?

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

I plan my route so a greggs or two is always within reach.
Why bother carrying stuff,unless you are seriously off piste?

From a practical perspective I tend to cycle alone and so don't like leaving my bike outside shops/cafés with a flimsy are lock, so prefer to be self sufficient. Last week I just pushed my bike around a small Tesco express when stocking up on fluids. I also like baking/cooking/experimenting and eating tasty food

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
In terms of proper sweets - nothing beats large Haribo yellow bellies for me. Very convenient to eat on a bike as well, as once put in the mouth doesn't require you to use hands - it can just dangle as you slowly consume it like a large piece of spaghetti.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
but Jaffa cakes may not go well in a jersey pocket

Ruddy roadies. I use a trunk bag which gives good snack carriage flexibility.

Good job on the malt loaf.

Generally, if it looks good it tastes good, and yours certainly looks good.

I find the pastry in fig rolls a bit dry. If I try to stuff several down in rapid succession they get stuck.

I do like them tho.

Yes, they are a bit like eating Polyfilla.

I suppose sips of water in between would aid serial consumption.

Top Bottom