When was the last time you......fell off your bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
In the summer on Newbiggibn-by-the-Sea's promenade. An old Labrador walked across in front of me so I slowed to a crawl and forgot to unclip, but he changed his mind and turned back. I stopped but but couldn't unclip fast enough... at least the pile of sand I landed on was soft!
The look I got from the dog made my day- I suspect he does it regularly.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Last couple of times have been on ice, the sort where one moment you don't have a care in the world and the next you are on your side wondering what the hell happened. I try desperately to avoid icy days now. Previous to those was a classic playing with the bike computer trying to reroute and simply riding off the side of the road.

Alex321

Veteran
Last couple of times have been on ice, the sort where one moment you don't have a care in the world and the next you are on your side wondering what the hell happened. I try desperately to avoid icy days now. Previous to those was a classic playing with the bike computer trying to reroute and simply riding off the side of the road.
Yep I came off twice on black ice a good many years ago now, and decided then that I wouldn't be riding when it was likely in future.

Which would have applied this morning if I hadn't just broken the rear mech anyhow. Wet roads last night and a frost this morning - the perfect recipe for black ice.

carpiste

Guru
1st May this year. I had just got the new bike and was testing it.... it was wet after rain. As it was a test run I wasn`t wearing proper shoes, just regular walking boots... of course slippy soles slipped off pedals as I went up the first ramp I came to and I went sideways. Luckily I got my left foot down followed by my left hand and didn`t really hurt myself. Mostly embarrassment to be honest. More importantly the bike suffered no damage!

Old jon

Guru
Three and a bit years ago, I was in Brazil, and a different relationship. I posted this:-

11th May 2018

Oh ‘eck. Rather too much enthusiasm today. I left home with the intention of riding further along the road I found on Monday. The legs were doing well, both cycle track and roads were quiet, so I just went for it. Six or seven miles along the front wheel found a patch of sand on a left hand bend, by the time I had straightened it out, about half a blink of an eyelid, both wheels were in the gutter. Like a few around here, both sides of the gutter are vertical and deep and, as I discovered, not possible to ride out of. I flew instead, the bike was close to me but we were not attached. A group of cyclists stopped, and after the language was sorted out one of them called my girlfriend, and an ambulance. Bike into car, me into hospital and in a remarkably short space of time my gravel rash was cleaned, skull tomographed and scapula, clavicle and nearby other bits X rayed. Broken collarbone, which is one of those things really.

All credit to the Brazilian emergency services, the free ambulance, and the fire brigade, are run by the military. I was taken to a public hospital, which was busy. All the staff were so very good and cheerful, helpful even. Quite a number spoke English, a good thing for me, ‘cos I have very little Portuguese. Once our lass arrived things language related were a lot easier, but there were no problems, just laughter. Oh aye, we are really too old to be girlfriend and boyfriend, but one of the staff asked where my girlfriend was. Guess it will stick. Still grinning, it is so wonderful when the nasty bits have been sorted.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
1st May this year. I had just got the new bike and was testing it.... it was wet after rain. As it was a test run I wasn`t wearing proper shoes, just regular walking boots... of course slippy soles slipped off pedals as I went up the first ramp I came to and I went sideways. Luckily I got my left foot down followed by my left hand and didn`t really hurt myself. Mostly embarrassment to be honest. More importantly the bike suffered no damage!
Any shoe can be a proper shoe on a bike. Unless it is a racer with the spd pedals. I always wear hiking boots.

grldtnr

Off my trike :laugh:.........I've tried to tip it over without success, I think it is too low down
Oh, but it doable ,believe me! Done it twice in 30 yrs of recumbenting, once I did it whilst riding an Audax, got quite out of shape ,when I was showing of coming into a check, lost control and stuffed the trike into the kerb, it bent the frame in several places, but still managed to finish within time, worst thing was, there wasn't anyone to witness it!!!!.
Second time, was when I bought my new trike, not a week old , turning into my road, with the weeks shopping on the back, mounted the pavement, and gracefully tipped over onto the verge, narrowly missing a dog turd sarnie, someone thoughtlessly left behind!
Off my trike :laugh:.........I've tried to tip it over without success, I think it is too low down

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Early February, coming back from my first jab. I rode over a sleeping policeman that must have had ice on it. It all happened in the blink of an eye. No harm done.

A few weeks ago - a newish ride that involves a stretch of little used canal path which is just soil/mud
As I was approaching a bridge with a narrow path beneath there was some wet/muddy concrete that I avoided by going into the puddle on the side - i.e. near the canal
turned out that the puddle had a steep slope so the wheel/tyre just slid down to my left towards the canal
probably could have recovered it - maybe
but if I tried and failed I would loose precise directional control just as I got to the bit where the bridge was very low over the canal
and that would involve either hotting the stone of the bridge - or falling into the canal - with an ebike!

so I let myself fall off gently onto the sloping grass at the side of the bridge - nice soft landing - no wet batteries

all was OK because no-one saw!!!!

13 rider

Guru
The last 2 times I've hit the deck I've been in the company of @Supersuperleeds . Dec 1st 2019 we pushed are luck with an icy morning and @Supersuperleeds thoughtfully let me go first to find the ice which I did as I turned a corner one second upright next second I'm sliding along the ground . We decided to turn round and struggled to walk back along the road no idea how we made it so far without falling off . The previous time was the infamous gate incident . Riding along a gated road in lovely sunshine descending a hill @Supersuperleeds let me go first ( can you see a pattern here ) into some shade were two large hedges met to see at the last minute a gate across the road . Bang I'm on the deck thankfully the gate wasn't locked shut so slightly sprung open a few cuts and bruises and the bike was ok . I am constantly reminded about this incident with shouts of GATE when we're out riding together which I never get bored of . But that's twice I saved @Supersuperleeds from a crash I think I deserve a medal .

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The last 2 times I've hit the deck I've been in the company of @Supersuperleeds . Dec 1st 2019 we pushed are luck with an icy morning and @Supersuperleeds thoughtfully let me go first to find the ice which I did as I turned a corner one second upright next second I'm sliding along the ground . We decided to turn round and struggled to walk back along the road no idea how we made it so far without falling off . The previous time was the infamous gate incident . Riding along a gated road in lovely sunshine descending a hill @Supersuperleeds let me go first ( can you see a pattern here ) into some shade were two large hedges met to see at the last minute a gate across the road . Bang I'm on the deck thankfully the gate wasn't locked shut so slightly sprung open a few cuts and bruises and the bike was ok . I am constantly reminded about this incident with shouts of GATE when we're out riding together which I never get bored of . But that's twice I saved @Supersuperleeds from a crash I think I deserve a medal .

I deserve a medal for riding with you, you are obviously a danger on the road :laugh:

Top Bottom