Where can I get decent chrome handlebars and brake levers for an old Raleigh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brand X

I've got a 3-speed Raleigh Chiltern that's been left a bit neglected in the shed and despite my best efforts to keep it nice and clean, the handlebars and brake levers have turned to rust. They're just really poor quality; I bought them on eBay a couple of years ago and they were nice and shiny for a little while, but within 6 months they were showing rust spots that required constant polishing to keep at bay, and now they're ruined. £15 for the handlebars, another £15 for the brake levers. Waste of money, I might as well of chucked them straight in the bin.

Vintage chrome doesn't rust like that; back in the day they used to dip the parts into proper baths of extremely toxic chemicals that these days are now stored in barrels in the deepest depths of a pit on Five Mile Island, but in these more eco-friendly days chrome just doesn't seem to last like it used to. Can anyone suggest where I might find something a bit better?

gareth01244

Veteran
Try velo orange if its new you want to buy, they sell levers and bars that are vintage copies/replicas
They are polished alloy so not as mirror finished as chrome but the plus of that is no rust issues.
A few companies in the uk sell their products

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Oxford Products still sell chromed steel handlebars and I've not yet noticed pitting and I think I've had them more than six months.

Brake levers I'd look at www.cyclesofyesteryear.com but it depends what sort of brakes you want to operate.

Or VO for retro style parts of modern manufacture, as @gareth01244 says. I've bought from www.freshtripe.co.uk in the past but they don't stock everything IIRC.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've got a 3-speed Raleigh Chiltern that's been left a bit neglected in the shed and despite my best efforts to keep it nice and clean, the handlebars and brake levers have turned to rust. They're just really poor quality; I bought them on eBay a couple of years ago and they were nice and shiny for a little while, but within 6 months they were showing rust spots that required constant polishing to keep at bay, and now they're ruined. £15 for the handlebars, another £15 for the brake levers. Waste of money, I might as well of chucked them straight in the bin.

Vintage chrome doesn't rust like that; back in the day they used to dip the parts into proper baths of extremely toxic chemicals that these days are now stored in barrels in the deepest depths of a pit on Five Mile Island, but in these more eco-friendly days chrome just doesn't seem to last like it used to. Can anyone suggest where I might find something a bit better?
I've got a pair of standard chromed Raleigh ones in reasonable nick, they'd be the same as the 'Chiltern' you can have em if you want. They came off this 83 Raleigh 'City' when I rebuilt it with these handlebars instead,
DSCN0038.JPG

Still using the brake levers though, sorry

BTW I'm in Leicester.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brand X

Brand X

Hi RN. Those handlebars look pretty good to me, I think they'll do the job nicely. Let me know how much you want and I'll send you a Paypal payment.

OP
OP
Brand X

Brand X

I'll get em packaged and posted soon (bit busy ATM what with 'cat sitting') as for cash I don't do 'Paypal' or anything on-line but don't worry about it, a while back a member on here (@Steve Malkin ) sent me some axle stops for free so just pass the favour on to someone else some time. :becool:

Thanks RN! That sounds like a jolly good idea. I've got a few bits and pieces so I'll keep my eyes on the forum for any "want" requests.

pA-big-thank-you.jpg

Top Bottom