Where does your dog / cat sleep at night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
But even the cleanest of the generally unclean lay on floors inside and out, greet other dogs muzzle to muzzle, get food around there muzzles and horror of horrors, have, being blunt, a foul arse area.

And, keeping it family friendly, what happens when you use the bedroom for some adult fun? Does the dog stay on the bed? Do you have to pre-plan and lock the dog in another part of house? And if spontaneity is your thing then 'hang on a moment darling I have to sort the dog out first' must be a Grade A passion killer.
What is this adult fun of which you speak?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
What is this adult fun of which you speak?
Ker-plunk

Saluki

World class procrastinator
With me.
Sighthounds are very clean dogs. They loathe water, mud or anything grotty. They don’t shed excessively either. 594035
I know it squicks people out but my dogs, my home, my rules. They have their own sofa too. They sleep on that, at night, sometimes too.

gbb

Legendary Member
Never was a dog on the bed person...mind he was an occasionally smelly labrador.
Generally, his crate was under the stairs, he would lope upstairs 5 minutes after us, generally sleep on the landing (always just above some hot water pipes below the boards)...and then usually slope into the bedroom and curl up on the floor, always on my side.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You didn't quote me, but as I'm the only one so far to mention kennels, I guess you're obliquely speaking to me.
How you can conflate children and dogs is quite beyond me.
For you, your pets are indoors and that suits you.
For me, the dogs are in their kennel. And that suits me, and my mutts.
1….i said crates and kennels, so no directly quoting anyone
2….some have said dogs are dirty and smelly, well to me, so are kids
3….i can conflate the two by saying, my pets are my animal children, real children are not for me
4….you dont know if the dogs are happy in the kennels, you just assume they are and dont give them any option

so never assume someone is just talking about you, when multiple answers have been made, with same said responses………happy days.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!

This is back when I had 3 dogs.
My big one she had a chair of her own in the bedroom and the other 2 would sleep on the bed. Occasionally if they all got on the bed I would get the hump and go sleep in the spare room 😁

steverob

Guru
Our cat follows the same procedure EVERY night and has done for years - she didn't do it when we first got her and I can't remember when she started, but it has been like this a very long time. She will always already be in the bedroom when we come up to sleep and once we get into bed she will position herself between us at about knee level and seemingly goes to sleep. However after 15-20 minutes, it is almost like she decides that we're now safely asleep (even though I'm not) and her job is done, so she gets up and leaves the room.

We're not 100% sure where she goes after that; sometimes I hear the cat flap go about a minute or two after she leaves, but most of the time it doesn't. She does have various places around the house that she sleeps at points during the day, so I presume she uses those overnight. Then she'll come and sleep with us again sometime around 5am, usually without waking us (unless she has a "gift" to bring us) but with the expectation that we'll get up at our normal time and give her breakfast - if it looks like we're sleeping in past that, she'll start to get a bit antsy and let us know that's she's getting hungry!

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
1….i said crates and kennels, so no directly quoting anyone
2….some have said dogs are dirty and smelly, well to me, so are kids
3….i can conflate the two by saying, my pets are my animal children, real children are not for me
4….you dont know if the dogs are happy in the kennels, you just assume they are and dont give them any option

so never assume someone is just talking about you, when multiple answers have been made, with same said responses………happy days.
Not happy days, no. It’s another case of passive aggression, about others’ varying lifestyle.
You know what you’re doing. Sounds like you know it all to me.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
A little while ago I was speaking to someone who had bought a micro pig. She bought it to keep her other (full size) pig and dog company. She showed me a photo, the pig was enormous, dwarfing the dog, and the pig was on her sofa in the living room! She lives in a terraced house in a town - "it's ok, the pigs have the run of the gardens at the rear"!!

Our cat follows the same procedure EVERY night and has done for years - she didn't do it when we first got her and I can't remember when she started, but it has been like this a very long time. She will always already be in the bedroom when we come up to sleep and once we get into bed she will position herself between us at about knee level and seemingly goes to sleep. However after 15-20 minutes, it is almost like she decides that we're now safely asleep (even though I'm not) and her job is done, so she gets up and leaves the room.

We're not 100% sure where she goes after that; sometimes I hear the cat flap go about a minute or two after she leaves, but most of the time it doesn't. She does have various places around the house that she sleeps at points during the day, so I presume she uses those overnight. Then she'll come and sleep with us again sometime around 5am, usually without waking us (unless she has a "gift" to bring us) but with the expectation that we'll get up at our normal time and give her breakfast - if it looks like we're sleeping in past that, she'll start to get a bit antsy and let us know that's she's getting hungry!

You mean to tell us that you've never done the "bum-dangle-over-the-edge-of-the-bed" thing because the cat's stretched out crossways in the middle? :scratch:

Oh yeah, and there's no snooze button on a cat that wants its breakfast... :laugh:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Louis the spaniel sleeps in his bed in my room, Orla the collie sleeps in her bed with daughter and the cat sleeps wherever she feels like although as far as I can tell never in the nice cosy cat bed that she has. She usually ends up on my bed by morning though just to upset Louis!

Top Bottom