Where does your dog / cat sleep at night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Mine are outside in their kennel.
I've considered a kennel before, mainly because ours have always been labs and personally ours have always been a bit smelly as soon as they get wet. (Edited to add..tbh, I knew my house smelled of dog slightly most of the time...and I didn't like it)
Kinda shied away for two reasons, I dont want them barking at night at anything they hear (i detest barking dogs at night) and while I'd have no problem them being out at night in the fair /good weather...in the winter...its not logical, it's an animal among billions that survive quite happily outside, but It'd be me that caved, not the dog :laugh:

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
View attachment 594066
This is back when I had 3 dogs.
My big one she had a chair of her own in the bedroom and the other 2 would sleep on the bed. Occasionally if they all got on the bed I would get the hump and go sleep in the spare room 😁
Exactly as it should be for sighthounds :-)

steverob

Guru
You mean to tell us that you've never done the "bum-dangle-over-the-edge-of-the-bed" thing because the cat's stretched out crossways in the middle? :scratch:
Nah, she's very good at seeking out an unoccupied position on the bed, managing sometimes to squeeze herself into the narrowest of gaps between us, so we rarely have to be the ones to move to accommodate her. Although in this heat she is kind of like a furry little radiator, especially if she decides to stretch out and lay up against the length of your leg - you wake up pouring with sweat!

Nah, she's very good at seeking out an unoccupied position on the bed, managing sometimes to squeeze herself into the narrowest of gaps between us, so we rarely have to be the ones to move to accommodate her. Although in this heat she is kind of like a furry little radiator, especially if she decides to stretch out and lay up against the length of your leg - you wake up pouring with sweat!

Awh...

Mind, cats do run about 3 degrees warmer than a Human, so yeah... Self-heating hot water bottle. :blush:

gbb

Legendary Member
A good gundog can cost up to £10,000. There's no way I'm leaving an asset of that value out in the garden in a kennel all night.
And neither would I ^_^

My last one cost around £500, full pedigree, way before the stupidity prices weve seen since covid.

Not so good when you’re bothered with hot flushes! :laugh: Don’t think you’re that age yet? Something to look forward to……..not!

Not quite yet... :blush:

Although it is a bother at this time of year when Madam Lexi suddenly decides that the best place to sleep is on top of my head... :wacko:

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Our 2 old kitties (BIG) Benny & Charlie (14 yrs & 16 yrs) have their choice of wherever they want. Sometimes both at the foot of the bed, sometimes in the "cat patio" that hangs out our livingroom window, sometimes in cardboard boxes they love, or in the summer on the tile floor in the kitchen or the on the hardwood floor here and there in our apartment, or in the bathtub or sink (Charlie only, for obvious reasons) nice and cool in the summer. In the winter they like the warmth of a couple of our upholstered chairs. Yeah, they're cats... so wherever they want, of course!

594103 594104

lazybloke

Considering a new username
One of our cats will climb onto the bed during the night and settle down. He's elderly, smelly and a bit sneezy; thankfully he mostly keeps away from me.
The other cat sleeps elsewhere, although occasionally sprints across my chest at 3am to demonstrate her unconditional love.

Both wake us in the morning demanding food. Fine at 7am. Not so good at 5am.

And, keeping it family friendly, what happens when you use the bedroom for some adult fun? Does the dog stay on the bed? Do you have to pre-plan and lock the dog in another part of house? And if spontaneity is your thing then 'hang on a moment darling I have to sort the dog out first' must be a Grade A passion killer.
Ignore them? Two of our previous cats would sit and watch. :smooch:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Hudson is generally upside down,splayed out and derping in his bed at the foot of ours.

He will occasionally try and join us, but seems unwilling to sleep at anything other than a 90 degree angle across the bed, and like all greyhounds, he's 95% legs and appears to have an excessive no of knees...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hudson is generally upside down,splayed out and derping in his bed at the foot of ours.

He will occasionally try and join us, but seems unwilling to sleep at anything other than a 90 degree angle across the bed, and like all greyhounds, he's 95% legs and appears to have an excessive no of knees...
We gave-in and bought a Super-King mattress! There's no training them :-)

Top Bottom