Where does your dog / cat sleep at night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
No, are you an exhibitionist?!
Not even a high five? 😄

gbb

Legendary Member
On the subject of dogs in the bedroom, I remember years ago an article / programme where the owner of a dog couldnt get it to mate, tried all sorts, they got in a animal behaviourist. The key question asked was where does your dog sleep ? Do you chuck it out the room when theres intimacy ?...no was the answer from the owner.
Theres your problem, the dog sees you as alpha male, it's not allowed to in your presence. It's a heirarchy thing.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Whilst we are discussing these lovable, albeit unsavoury ^_^, beasts are any of you bed-sharers dog-snoggers?

A quick Google seems to indicate that many owners of these arse-licking in lieu of Andrex critters, are routinely snogged by their owners. A double yuk from me.

Eh? Never heard of that!

Fab Foodie

Interestingly, the dogs here that sleep in/on the owners beds are all of one type - sighthounds, Whipps, Greys, Salukis.

Whippets used to be called 'bedwarmers' as they were put into the kids beds to keep them (the children) warm (and also stop the dog freezing).
Whipps and Greyhounds lack underfur and fat to keep them warm, so you either need a warm house, pyjamas or your bed to keep them warm at nights. From what I've seen on Whippet discussions, most sleep on or in their owners beds or curled-up in front of a fire.
Neither can these dogs sleep on hard surfaces and have a natural desire to be high-up - it's part of their hunting instincts, so they constantly want to be on the sofa/chair, on the bed.
It's the nature of the beast....

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Interestingly, the dogs here that sleep in/on the owners beds are all of one type - sighthounds, Whipps, Greys, Salukis.

Whippets used to be called 'bedwarmers' as they were put into the kids beds to keep them (the children) warm (and also stop the dog freezing).
Whipps and Greyhounds lack underfur and fat to keep them warm, so you either need a warm house, pyjamas or your bed to keep them warm at nights. From what I've seen on Whippet discussions, most sleep on or in their owners beds or curled-up in front of a fire.
Neither can these dogs sleep on hard surfaces and have a natural desire to be high-up - it's part of their hunting instincts, so they constantly want to be on the sofa/chair, on the bed.
It's the nature of the beast....

I hear and understand what you say FF but our Weim' and before that G. Sheps's and Lab's had lovely comfy beds in warm/cool parts of the house depending on ambient temps. They never slept on our bed.

I know it's a personal choice who/what you sleep with but, as a dog lover, I still recognise that they are foul animals and far from clean enough to share my bed.

I presume you are not a dog-snogger? 😁

Fab Foodie

I presume you are not a dog-snogger? 😁
Not knowingly!

WHen I had a German Shepard she slept in the house - just not the Kitchen because she would sometime check if anything desperatly important was happening in the grden by looking through the patio doors
If there was imminent danger - such as a cat or fox in the garden she would go crazy and belt upstairs and down until I let her out. As the patio doors had vertical blinds she also tended to rip them down in her desperation to protect the house from the marauding cat/fox danger!

S0 normally on her blankets behind the sofa or in her basket at the top of the stairs

She never never never ever slept on the sofa - this was certain - if I came down in the night she was never on the sofa

how the GS sized circle of GS hair got on the sofa cushion (always the same one!) was a mystery!!!!
apparently

Hicky

Guru
3 Working cockers, two share a create(they chew things) over night, the other who we've had from a pup and never has touched a thing apart from socks and teddies and sleeps in his own bed(which he's forced out of once they're out), they're all in the dining room. I'd like to kennel them in the garage however the risk of theft is too high for me to risk.

AndyRM

XOXO
My girlfriends' dog sleeps on the bed, as does her cat. I don't have any pets right now but they'd be allowed to do the same: it's nice having animals next to you if you're OK with it.

stephec

Legendary Member
There's a bloke at work with a standard poodle that's bigger than average, he's 40kg.

He used to sleep in his own bed until they went on holiday for a week and left someone to look after him, warning them that the dog didn't sleep on the bed. When they came home they found out that he'd been on the bed and was now accustomed to it, in the end they had to buy a bigger bed. 😄

As he said to me when we got our poodle a few months ago, 'start as you mean to go on and don't be soft.'

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Our pup was sleeping in the kitchen in a cage. However with light mornings she was waking up really early and even if ignored with barking , it really disturbs your sleep. So after a weekend away in the caravan and finding out she could sleep right through no bother. Change of plan.

she now sleeps in our room. Door shut so she can’t wonder. Not that she does. Out for the count all night and I just try and get her outside quick for a pee first thing . Some may agree disagree with that. However for the sake of my sleep it’s required . As for sofas , she’s does occasionally sleep on it during the day. However she likes it cool so will move off onto a cool floor.

Top Bottom