Where have all the cyclists gone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Is it just in this part of the world, or has the increase in cycling we've seen over the past several years peaked and now started to drop? Since the backend of last year I've noticed that seeing a fellow rider, whether cycling myself or in the car is reverting back to a less that usual occurrence.

What's it like out in the world in general?

U

User33236

Roads round here have been full of them over the past week to 10 days. I think the weather has been keeping a number off the roads, certainly round here.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been out this morning and there were loads of people out pedalling. I don't see many when I'm out during the week, but I suspect most of them are at work then.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Haven't you heard? Golf is the new cycling!

Actually, I might have made that up. TBH, I haven't noticed much of a change locally. Perhaps because of the climate, there never really were that many cyclists in the first place. On my recent trip to Lands End (on a motorbike) I did notice just how many more cyclists there were on the roads in the less cold, wet, and windy parts of the country.

I'm not sure if you are asking the question based on how many you see in the areas you cycle in?

I see a lot more when the weather is warm & sunny, but I think you are referring to real cyclists ^_^

Venod

Eh up
Plenty on the roads round here in Yorkshire, but I did my first bike orienteering event of the year yesterday and the number of entrants was well down.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Lots around here. I saw a dozen or more when I was walking the hound this morning.

KenDave

Regular
I haven't noticed any reduction round my neck of the woods (South Lakeland / North Lancs). Even mid week in winter there were always quite a few around.

Some years ago while discussing the topic, my friend commented on it .

"Some people buy a bike, get wet twice and go up one hill and afterwards the bike gets put in the shed, never seeing the light of day again".

There are many variants of the cyclist.

Top Bottom