Where have all the cyclists gone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I've been seeing lots of cyclists round here, at least since I started this year's riding in February - NCN cycle routes and coastal paths seem to be especially busy.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Must be just a local thing, then. There is a definite drop down here despite the nice weather.

I suppose it is difficult to quantify the true number of cyclists that there are.

We are not registered in any way as far as I know. It is not like vehicles and the DVLA

The media will state there is a growing interest in cycling. I don't know how their figures are obtaimed. Bike sales?

mgs315

I think I almost lost my voice saying hello to all those out last weekend so don’t think there’s much of a problem round here in the Surrey/Kent Hills. I’d put the number of cyclists going the opposite direction at way over three figures. Definitely enough to annoy impatient car drivers too.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It has seemed quieter at the start of the year, but the last few weeks has since numbers something around normal - probably the atrocious weather has kept a few off the roads?

I don't think the appalling weather forecasts have helped. A couple of times I've binned off a planned ride to do "something else" on account of an apocalyptic weather prediction that simply hasn't happened.
We did a sportive a couple of weeks ago and most forecasts were for torrential rain all day - we actually had about 10 minutes of light showers in the end, but numbers on the day at that definitely appeared down on previous years despite the organisers claiming they'd sold as many entries as the year before.

Top Bottom