Where have all the cyclists gone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatjel

Veteran
I’ve seen three around here since I moved in February,
One of those was an electric
Plenty down near the coast tho
Lots of mountain bikes on cars too

gilespargiter

Veteran
I’ve seen three around here since I moved in February,
One of those was an electric
Plenty down near the coast tho
Lots of mountain bikes on cars too

Yes their seems to be quite a thing about mtb's on cars.
I kid you not, but a couple of weeks back when I diverted up the Elan valley while out shopping for milk and stuff, I went up the valley and kept re-passing a BMW with mtb's on the roof. What the pair of them were doing was stopping at strategic places by the dams, taking the bikes off the roof posing in heroic places for photos and film clips then moving on. They were begining to get embarassed the third time I passed them. So they should.
I had a similar thing happen as I crested Pen y pass in N. Wales earlier in the winter - a mini bus with school signwriting discharged a person dressed in cycling clothes and a road bike, posed by the youth hostel in a couple of places close to the road loaded up and then drove off! What's that all about?????

Seems to be a thing that people think that if they carry bicycles as some sort of mascot on their vehicles then their petrol is somehow cleaner and close passes and bad driving are freindly and allowable or something. . . .

I mean to say they are not even going to keep me supplied with inner tubes if they dont get punctures!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes their seems to be quite a thing about mtb's on cars.
I kid you not, but a couple of weeks back when I diverted up the Elan valley while out shopping for milk and stuff, I went up the valley and kept re-passing a BMW with mtb's on the roof. What the pair of them were doing was stopping at strategic places by the dams, taking the bikes off the roof posing in heroic places for photos and film clips then moving on. They were begining to get embarassed the third time I passed them. So they should.
I had a similar thing happen as I crested Pen y pass in N. Wales earlier in the winter - a mini bus with school signwriting discharged a person dressed in cycling clothes and a road bike, posed by the youth hostel in a couple of places close to the road loaded up and then drove off! What's that all about?????

Seems to be a thing that people think that if they carry bicycles as some sort of mascot on their vehicles then their petrol is somehow cleaner and close passes and bad driving are freindly and allowable or something. . . .

I mean to say they are not even going to keep me supplied with inner tubes if they dont get punctures!

Wow, just wow, I'm speechless!

Red17

Veteran
Its been really noticable that a lot of members of my club have been using Zwift and Trainerroad this winter rather than going out in the bad weather (me included), and bad weather club run numbers have been down. Still getting new members turning up most weekends, and numbers seem to be increasing overall though now Spring is here

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
majorca...

Milzy

Guru
There’s more than I’ve ever seen! The Wiggo days might be over but it’s still becoming more popular.

DRM

Guru
Its been really noticable that a lot of members of my club have been using Zwift and Trainerroad this winter rather than going out in the bad weather (me included), and bad weather club run numbers have been down. Still getting new members turning up most weekends, and numbers seem to be increasing overall though now Spring is here
I must admit I have used the turbo trainer through winter, it has really helped keep my fitness up this year & it's just stupid risking really bad weather, which seems to have been much colder this year, but now it's starting to get better, cyclists are starting to appear again.
I predict that on Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday they'll be out in force around Yorkshire :bicycle:

screenman

Legendary Member
I only saw two other cyclist whilst out for an hours blast tonight, mind you it was pouring down with rain the whole time, I would also add like me they were lycra clad.

pjd57

Veteran
Heading through to Edinburgh for Pedal on Parliament?
I thought about it for 2 seconds then decided to avoid the crowds and headed for Girvan instead.

I don't think they were heading to PoP , too late on , but it was good to see it busy.
I was down along the Kelvin as well. I'm going to avoid it at weekends over the summer too many dog owners causing chaos.

PlanB

I kid you not, but a couple of weeks back when I diverted up the Elan valley while out shopping for milk and stuff, I went up the valley and kept re-passing a BMW with mtb's on the roof. What the pair of them were doing was stopping at strategic places by the dams, taking the bikes off the roof posing in heroic places for photos and film clips then moving on.

I have seen car loads turn up at motorcycle racing events and change into their "biker" costumes with matching booties and helmet prior to circuit entry.

Top Bottom