Where have all the cyclists gone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
It IS a wee bit lumpy but 95% of it is on-road ... :whistle:

View attachment 405720

There are a few too many main roads for me there! I do Littleborough-Tod a lot and also Tod-Mytholmroyd but like to get up on the hills away from the traffic where I can.

I try to get out early on the weekend & miss the worst of the traffic, but I don't mind it too much once you get away from the towns. The road from the turnpike over to the causeway is probably more on your radar, that was a pleasant surprise last week.

Milzy

Guru
More then ever in Yorkshire. Also the TDF soon which is chuffin awesome!! People are still hooked from the Wiggo days.

screenman

Legendary Member
(cough) that terrain looks a bit rough for my soft backside, I'll be honest!

My weekend plan is to do an approx 50 miles (?) which will be Shaw, denshaw, Rishworth, Sowerby, mytholmroyd, hebden, tod, Littleborough, Milnrow, newhey & back to Shaw. Hoping for gentle breezes mainly...

(just checked, more like 35 miles... )

That is funny, one minute you are laughing at others who may not be as fit as you and the next you are the one being laughed at, brilliant.^_^

nickAKA

Über Member
That is funny, one minute you are laughing at others who may not be as fit as you and the next you are the one being laughed at, brilliant.^_^

The original intent was light-hearted, trust me. The abridged anecdote is I was expressing some love for a shiny new (and very expensive) TT bike out on the road. The wife observed that it was being pushed up a hill, rather than ridden. Mildly amusing, no?

screenman

Legendary Member
The original intent was light-hearted, trust me. The abridged anecdote is I was expressing some love for a shiny new (and very expensive) TT bike out on the road. The wife observed that it was being pushed up a hill, rather than ridden. Mildly amusing, no?

No at all, I just cannot get my head around the humour of that.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Is it just in this part of the world, or has the increase in cycling we've seen over the past several years peaked and now started to drop? Since the backend of last year I've noticed that seeing a fellow rider, whether cycling myself or in the car is reverting back to a less that usual occurrence.

What's it like out in the world in general?
They've been hibernating, because you can't possibly ride your bike when it's raining or if the sun's not out

GuyBoden

Guru
Obviously, there are fewer cyclists in the Autumn and Winter, but a bit of dry weather and sun will bring the cyclists out.
The more cyclists the better for us all. :okay:

gilespargiter

Veteran
I think we will have to organise a cull round here, far to many cluttering up the hillsides with all that garish clothing. They have supplied me with enough inner tubes for the year now :eek:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Where have all the cyclists gone? Why, they've taken their Strava thingies and gone abroad... have a look at the Strava World Heatmap and you'll understand.

Top Bottom