Which 3rd party liability cyclist insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Cycling liability insurance.

This is something I have been thinking about having for years really but have never been 100% convinced about the need for it, given that cycling is really only an extension of walking or running as a means of leg powered transportation and I certainly wouldn't consider insuring myself for either of those! I was involved in a big accident just over a year ago and received some serious injuries as a result, but that didn't really change my view on the need to have specific liability insurance to cover my cycling activities.

What has made me revisit the situation is a recent accident involving a friend of a friend, someone that I have actually ridden with a couple of times. This has left him with injuries (not too serious :B)), a wrecked bike (:sad:) and the painful part, a not inconsiderable repair bill for the car he collided with :eek:.

On a personal level I'm not too concerned about getting a bill for material damage like that, it may be a bitter pill to swallow but it won't ruin me. What I am more worried about is being hit with a large claim for personal injuries or a death. I am primarily a commuter cyclist and ride in a largely urban area so despite being vigilant and careful it is feasible that I could be involved in a collision with a pedestrian or cyclist (pedestrians [and cyclists!] do seem to exit the pavement at the most inopportune moments and with scant regard to their surroundings or safety, especially since the boom in smart phone ownership!). Such a collision is unlikely to be my fault, but given the involvement of some money motivated compensation claim lawyer and a roll of the blame/liability dice I could see myself facing a bankrupting bill for legal defence and compensation as a result of my cycling activities.

So, which is the best? I should perhaps define best....
  • Adequate levels of liability cover (£1, 2, 5, 10 million pounds?).
  • Legal defence included?
  • Appropriate activities (commute, leisure, group rides, charity/sportive rides, etc)
  • benefits.
  • Value, i.e cost of policy V's levels of cover.
A quick search of this forum pointed me at 4 initial providers, Wiggle, British Cycling (BC), Cycling UK (CUK) and London Cycle Campaign (LCC).
Wiggle are the cheapest at just over £29, but also have the lowest liability of only £1 million pounds. They include free legal 'advice' whatever that is, it doesn't sound like legal costs are covered? Also mentions an excess payable on every claim, but doesn't seem to say how much?
BC cover upto £15 million and legal defence costs and no excess on claims. BC membership cost is £37 for basic commuter cover but rises to £41 if you want cover for group leisure rides and sportive/charity events.
CUK membership is £46.50 and includes insurance to £10 million and no excess but I can't see any mention of legal cover.
LCC looks to be the most expensive at £49. £5 million liability cover and no mention of legal cover.

Has anyone got any advice or suggestions to improve on the options above? The Wiggle one seems too restrictive to consider, but the others are north of £40 which seems a lot to pay for something that I don't really think is needed and would only be invoked after a long chain of 'what if's' aligned (i.e I was involved in a collision, someone was badly injured and it was proven to be due to my negligence).

numbnuts

Legendary Member

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Easy British Cycling. I'm getting sued by a cyclist that my bike clipped when I was knocked off 4 years ago.

Ive seen the solicitor and barrister and its in their hands. As said, crap can happen, and the honest sole that stays around gets shafted. The driver legged it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Its not much when you consider what it might cost. The solicitor said to me, thank goodness you have this cover. Might be alot more worrying if they came after you and you had to try and get the third party through some of your property insurance.

vickster

Legendary Member
BC cover works well too (eventually) when you’re knocked off too. It’s £4 a month, hardly a lot ( you get a discount in year onebif sign up to DD)
You could always phone them if you have questions

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Easy British Cycling.
BC cover works well

I hear ya! It does seem to stack up this way. Ignoring the £1 million Wiggle no frills option that is too basic to consider really, BC has the lowest price, highest level of indemnity (although once you get over a few million I don't suppose that is really an issue?), legal protection and no excess. Tick, tick, tick and tick. All the boxes in one go.

Anybody aware of any discount codes/offers..... :whistle:

Slioch

Guru
I'm with BC too. Don't think mentioning me will get you a discount though.

vickster

Legendary Member
I hear ya! It does seem to stack up this way. Ignoring the £1 million Wiggle no frills option that is too basic to consider really, BC has the lowest price, highest level of indemnity (although once you get over a few million I don't suppose that is really an issue?), legal protection and no excess. Tick, tick, tick and tick. All the boxes in one go.

Anybody aware of any discount codes/offers..... :whistle:
Usually only for DD in year 1 but google to check

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Great. Just spoke to my home insurer to confirm the details. My home contents insurance policy includes liability up to 2 million as standard and I have legal cover added on to that so I have no need to get separate insurance :okay:

I ran through a few scenarios with them and there is no doubt that I am covered for my intended use. They will pay out for damage to property if a collision is my fault (i.e I hit a car) and will pay for injuring a third party when I am cycling, just the same as if I accidentally tripped someone up in the street.

Top Bottom