What is your average speed range?

• 0-10mph

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • 10-15mph

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • 15-20mph

Votes: 51 38.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Off-road 10-15, usually 11 or 12mph around my local singletrack trails. On the road 15-20, nearer 15 on the commute and 17/18 on leisure rides :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Here, I've added a proper survey to click on for you.
My average speed is 9mph on fairly flat territory riding alone, in company I could push myself to 10mph, still on a flat route.
A wee bit of undulations, my speed gets right down to a 5 to 8mph average.

steverob

Guru
Recently it's been 14mph average on rolling hill rides (e.g. fairly flat, but there's nothing you'd call exactly pancake flat around here), 13mph on more hilly rides. However that's about 1mph (in both cases) lower than what I always regarded my long-term averages as being - maybe age is starting to catch up with me!

lazyfatgit

15-20 across 3 road bikes over 9yrs of records according to veloviewer. Interestingly it hasnt seemed to matter that one bike cost 10x more and weighs 3kg less. Thanks for asking the question.
10-15 on the tourer. Slower on the mtb if its lumpy.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
It all depends on what type of rides people are doing.Coming back from shopping with heavy panniers and a rucksack on a touring bike probably about 10 average.On a flatish 10 miler on a lighter bike and no luggage could double that.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Depends what I'm riding.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
15-17 depending on route and which young whippersnapper is on the front. I note five mile lap averages as well, these often hit 19+ when on certain flat sections.

Not bad for a 64 year old riding with many who are 15-20 years younger, one of 37 years who kills me!!

rivers

How far can I go?
It depends. 10-15 on the commute, usually 14-15. 15-20 for fun rides, and then it depend who i'm riding with as to whether i'm on the low end or in the middle

DRHysted

Guru
Between 12 to 17 ish. I’m using the roads less and adding more mud and gravel. It also depends on which bike; the sportive is faster than the geared cyclocross, which is faster than the single speed cyclocross, which is faster than my new 29er MTB, which is a lot faster than my old MTB which still has the studded snow tyres on from earlier this year.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Me too. Actually, about 5mph (London LCC Big Ride for Space for Cycling) up to 16mph (short sprinty journeys on the road bike). None of the answers seem like a realistic range to me. No-one is that consistent with all the changes in weather, condition, bikes and health. Should we be answering pessimistically, realistically or optimistically? Whole-journey average (rewarding those who can eat/drink on the move) or moving average (rewarding those who brake dangerously at the last minute into junctions and sprint away again)?

Top Bottom