Which CC member do you think you'd like to meet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’ve met him…and on that occasion….

@Blue Hills dressed up as Sue?

latest?cb=20130927123336.jpg

not a great user of emoticons (if that's what they are called) but pretty sure there isn't one for that.

yello

I rode with a chap on an audax who was most surprised that I didn't know who he was. He was *insert user name here* from YACF. I knew the site (many audaxers do) but had no recollection of him.

I do now wonder how many people I rode/spoke with, back in the day, that where on one of the cycling sites. I suspect I've crossed paths with some on here - though obviously not recently. Anyone do Windsor-Chester-Windsor in 2014? (Just searching and, yes, I have met someone once on here! And I remember having a good chat with them too!)

Last edited:
I do remember an old London cycling buddy/acquaintance - not sure where he is now, was italian - who had both a forum (not this one) and fresh air london cycling group presence.

I well remember him talking about one guy and saying he was:

a: really really absolutely crazy/angry/argumentative to be avoided at all costs.

b: seemed really reasonable and well-balanced.

One of these was the in-the-flesh face-to-face persona, the other the forum one - he was really amazed by the split.

I can't remember which was which though.

(and in case anyone is tempted to ask I can't remember who it was though I may have known one of their faces)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That means all the nice calm reasoned people on here are a nightmare in real life 😂

That means all the nice calm reasoned people on here are a nightmare in real life 😂
:smile:
could be - some in the past have tried to excuse the online nightmares as really nice offline/nice to their mum/adored by their pets/national saints in kurdistan - being oldfashioned I never really buy this. A 'mare is a 'mare in my book, even if in sheep's clothing, wrapped in the flag or some popular cause etc.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What about Leamington/ Warwick? Near enough Birmingham, but not very much like Birmingham. Also, if looking for weekends, not the 23rd or 24th, please?
If you made it August in Warwick then watching the Commonwealth Games Road Race would be a possibility for those who actually like cycling.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I do remember an old London cycling buddy/acquaintance - not sure where he is now, was italian - who had both a forum (not this one) and fresh air london cycling group presence.

I well remember him talking about one guy and saying he was:

a: really really absolutely crazy/angry/argumentative to be avoided at all costs.

b: seemed really reasonable and well-balanced.

One of these was the in-the-flesh face-to-face persona, the other the forum one - he was really amazed by the split.

I can't remember which was which though.

(and in case anyone is tempted to ask I can't remember who it was though I may have known one of their faces)
Odd isn't it. I used to be a very regular contributor on a travel forum and we'd have social get togethers in London once a month or so, to meet visitors from other cities and just to generally have beer and snacks and a nice time.
On that forum there were / are 3 real pieces of work, all three of them were sarcastic, cutting, snidey towards visitors, and at times downright hostile and rude. For a forum whose raison d'etre was to help people, they stood out. They were clearly just there to get kicks from being rude to people.

On a couple of the socials we had, two of them actually turned up, on more than one occasion. One of them was surprisingly terribly sweet in person, just a lovely and sociable guy and not like his online persona at all. The other one was quiet as a mouse and clearly had severe trouble in social situations. I half wondered if he kept his Mum's corpse in a wardrobe at home, just a weird, weird guy. Strange how some people have a very strong outspoken online persona but are really different in real life.

The third one is an occasional member here, but he's never shown up to a meet on the other forum so I have no idea what he's like in real life. I suspect he's another who is withdrawn in real life.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Odd isn't it. I used to be a very regular contributor on a travel forum and we'd have social get togethers in London once a month or so, to meet visitors from other cities and just to generally have beer and snacks and a nice time.
On that forum there were / are 3 real pieces of work, all three of them were sarcastic, cutting, snidey towards visitors, and at times downright hostile and rude. For a forum whose raison d'etre was to help people, they stood out. They were clearly just there to get kicks from being rude to people.

On a couple of the socials we had, two of them actually turned up, on more than one occasion. One of them was surprisingly terribly sweet in person, just a lovely and sociable guy and not like his online persona at all. The other one was quiet as a mouse and clearly had severe trouble in social situations. I half wondered if he kept his Mum's corpse in a wardrobe at home, just a weird, weird guy. Strange how some people have a very strong outspoken online persona but are really different in real life.

The third one is an occasional member here, but he's never shown up to a meet on the other forum so I have no idea what he's like in real life. I suspect he's another who is withdrawn in real life.
I'm a bit of a dick on the forum and the same in real life, so at least I'm consistent

Last edited:
Top Bottom