Which CC member do you think you'd like to meet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've met a fair few from on here, enough that I won't name names because I just know I'll miss someone. I'd happily meet up with any of them again. @theclaud in particular is A Very Good Egg IRL.
Those I'd like to meet - @Ming the Merciless Chances are we've already met, as he rides with the same CTC group I do, lives near me and we know people in common.
@Drago @Reynard any of Teh Modz and, really, anyone misguided enough to want to meet me.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Tbh I'm not going to name names as IMO lawyers "earn" enough already without a sudden influx of restraining orders.. however I'd like to say that, while I've never met anyone from CC in real life (although IIRC I've apparently been unknowingly within a few metres of @Gunk!) most on here seem like thoroughly decent individuals and I think we'd probably have a decent amount to talk about should anyone ever have the misfortune of bumping into me IRL.

All that said, I think my values / tastes align a lot with (amongst others :tongue: ) both @CanucksTraveller and @SkipdiverJohn; for thier love of old, cheap but great stuff..

I've been on numerous other forums where my desire to interact with other members ceases unequivocally at the boundaries of our shared interests, however I feel that the connection is deeper with those on CC :smile:

Last edited:
I've met a fair few from on here, enough that I won't name names because I just know I'll miss someone. I'd happily meet up with any of them again. @theclaud in particular is A Very Good Egg IRL.
Those I'd like to meet - @Ming the Merciless Chances are we've already met, as he rides with the same CTC group I do, lives near me and we know people in common.
@Drago @Reynard any of Teh Modz and, really, anyone misguided enough to want to meet me.

Awh xxx :hugs:

:blush:

Odd isn't it. I used to be a very regular contributor on a travel forum and we'd have social get togethers in London once a month or so, to meet visitors from other cities and just to generally have beer and snacks and a nice time.
On that forum there were / are 3 real pieces of work, all three of them were sarcastic, cutting, snidey towards visitors, and at times downright hostile and rude. For a forum whose raison d'etre was to help people, they stood out. They were clearly just there to get kicks from being rude to people.

On a couple of the socials we had, two of them actually turned up, on more than one occasion. One of them was surprisingly terribly sweet in person, just a lovely and sociable guy and not like his online persona at all. The other one was quiet as a mouse and clearly had severe trouble in social situations. I half wondered if he kept his Mum's corpse in a wardrobe at home, just a weird, weird guy. Strange how some people have a very strong outspoken online persona but are really different in real life.

The third one is an occasional member here, but he's never shown up to a meet on the other forum so I have no idea what he's like in real life. I suspect he's another who is withdrawn in real life.
Have long thought that it's weak people you have to be really careful of in life, rather more than the strong. Did you challenge the snidey/sweet person?
I have been on a ride with two of the departed toxic ones. I did think of telling the pair what I thought of them (mods can hardly edit my fresh air statements) ,but in the end couldn't be bothered.
Needless to say they were both quiet as mice on the ride.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I'm a Hertfordshire cyclist just like the @TheDoctor , I'm certain I haven't met TheDoctor on the road . I'm sure I would have noticed the 2 large flashing lights on his helmet .

OP
OP
CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Did you challenge the snidey/sweet person?
Challenge would be a strong word for it. I did express surprise that he could be so direct and belligerent in written form to complete strangers, but he said he was sometimes a little jaded that the same questions kept coming up and it was his way of helping people to help themselves. He later moved on to being a local expert on the Amsterdam forum and he doesn't show up on the London one anymore, I think it just got repetitive for him.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think my first comment on meeting @ColinJ in real life was something like 'Oh, you're fatter in real life than you appear in your avatar' :laugh:

He took it well and it just goes to show I am pretty consistent online to real life.....

Not going to read the previous 20 pages to see if my name has cropped up because I can't be bothered and I doubt it :rolleyes:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think my first comment on meeting @ColinJ in real life was something like 'Oh, you're fatter in real life than you appear in your avatar' :laugh:

He took it well and it just goes to show I am pretty consistent online to real life.....
Yes, I reacted with the appropriate decorum... :whistle:

Skol looked me up and down and suddenly announced in a party-hushing voice "Blimey, you don't look fat in your forum photograph!" A stunned silence fell upon the group, eventually punctuated by a low moaning sound which was pretty scary, and more so when I realised that it was coming from me! Oh, the shame ...

The grief I felt for my long-gone, slimmer, inner-cyclist erupted into the public domain. Skol was banished to the naughty bench on the fringes of the car park by the rest of the group as they reassured me with friendly man-hugs, and dabbed the tears from my cheeks with only lightly-soiled hankies!

Eventually, the sobbing subsided, and I gritted my teeth, finally ready to face the hilly torment ahead. I uttered the inevitable decree - "Skol - you may now rejoin us!"

First things first ... As he approached, I kicked his legs from under him, and he squirmed about beneath me as I looked down and ordered him to take his punishment like a man. I leapt into the air with all the grace of a recently-outed fat guy and slammed down on him in a devastating act of vengeance. Giant Haystacks - eat your heart out!

Skol staggered to his feet and recanted. He assured me that I was the slimmest, best-looking cyclist that he had seen since I'd jumped on him. (The other 5 CycleChatters were standing behind him at the time!)

I'm not known for bearing grudges. I slapped Skol's face a couple of times on each cheek - hard - told him not to do it again, and then told the assembled group to 'saddle up'.
:smile:

Top Bottom