Which charge saddle is for me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Hi
Which is the best charge saddle for road bike rides over 60 miles plus, I've measured my sit bones and approx 110mm ( I believe I have to add 30mm ) I ve read good reviews on the charge saddles, but not sure which one to buy, spoon, scoop or knife, thank you for any advice

Don't think you need a specific saddle for rides over 60 miles. An uncomfortable saddle is noticeable very quickly, well before you get to 60 miles.

A 60+ ride must be 4+ hours in the saddle and unless accustomed to long rides, saddle soreness is probably to be expected. Towards the latter stages of a long ride, the legs get tired and stop acting as shock absorbers, so the full weight of the body rests on the saddle and thus the bum.

But once you find that magic saddle, be sure to buy more than one, so you can have the same on all your bikes.

gavgav

Guru
Tried a Charge Spoon once and it was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on!! Many do like them though and saddles are such a personal thing.

OP
OP
tomplodder

tomplodder

Über Member
Don't think you need a specific saddle for rides over 60 miles. An uncomfortable saddle is noticeable very quickly, well before you get to 60 miles.

A 60+ ride must be 4+ hours in the saddle and unless accustomed to long rides, saddle soreness is probably to be expected. Towards the latter stages of a long ride, the legs get tired and stop acting as shock absorbers, so the full weight of the body rests on the saddle and thus the bum.

But once you find that magic saddle, be sure to buy more than one, so you can have the same on all your bikes.
That is great info, I did not know that, thanks

Alan O

Über Member
While I think I'd agree with that for distances like ~60 miles, I do think the further you ride the more difference a saddle can make.

After about 30 miles on my MTB with a Spoon I'm starting to feel a little bit of saddle soreness - even though it starts off feeling really comfy.

For longer distances, on my touring bike, I have a Brooks Cambium and I seriously love it - I did my first 100-mile ride in July since my return after a 20-year break from cycling, and though many parts of my body were sore at the end, my bum felt like I'd been sitting on gossamer lubricated with unicorn tears.

The much lower price of the Spoon makes it the no-brainer choice for me for short MTB rides even though it's clearly not the better (for me) overall and would be getting uncomfortable if I got anywhere near 100 miles on it, and the significant extra cost of the Cambium is well worth it for the long road rides.

The fixed-wheel bike I'm currently building is going to get a Spoon too, as I don't intend to ride long distances on it.

Definitely agree with that - if only I could afford five Cambiums:blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Saddles are very person specific.

I stick with Selle Italia 'flat' styled saddles, or Charge. Even saddles by the same make can be problematic. Less padding is 'more' usually.

jay clock

Massive member
Spoon for me. No idea what other ones are like. I have Spoons on 3 bikes. Done 4 x Ironmans on them and loads of long rides.

Top Bottom