Which clipless pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guiddy

I am used to spds from Mountain Bike riding and want something similar for the road bike I just bought.
It is a Specialized Allez Elite and clearly came with the cheapest plastic pedals ever 'cause they know they'll get changed for clipless.
Is Shimano's spd a good choice or is there better when it comes to road stuff?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The Shimano A520 and A530 are SPDA pedals for road bikes. They'll allow you to wear your mtb shoes and cleats.

If you want road specific clip-in pedals you'll need SPD-SL - you need new cleats and new shoes for these.

I use M520 on all my bikes. I can then wear the same shoes on all my bikes.

carlgorse

Ive used the Shimano 520s and are a great pedal but recently swapped over to TIME Iclic Carbons so much better for getting my feet out :biggrin:

GrasB

Veteran
Is Shimano's spd a good choice or is there better when it comes to road stuff?
Yes & Yes.

SPDs are better than nothing & will take a good amount of power before you'll hit any problems on road. That said SPDs have limitations especially when it comes to long hard rides. There are various other road specific solutions out there, all have their pros & cons. For all out performance I'm finding that the speedplay road series (X/LightAction/Zero) offer the best package.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have Look Keo Classic, I'm completelly neutral to them.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I use PD-M520s on road bike and on fixed and on my end of the tandem. I reckon the effective "platform" must be about the same size as the Speedplays... and you can walk in SPD shoes. Oh yes - and between 1/5th to 1/10th of the cost of Speedplays. Just make sure your shoes have a good stiff sole.

So some people might give you funny looks because you put MTB pedals on a road bike ? Do I give a flying f*ck? That's a "disadvantage" I can live with.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
+1 for M520's.

I can use my dhb R1's and my Lidl MTB shoes on both my bikes. MTB shoes if I'm going into town and walking round shops, R1's if all I'm doing is riding and don't plan doing any walking.
The dhb's have both 2 & 3 holes for cleats :tongue: .

Top Bottom